Woman who fell from Hooters balcony recovers, police say

THE FALL: Tempe Hooter's sign shines from the second story balcony where Canadian citizen Tabitha Farmer plummeted 20 feet on April 7th. (Photo by Serwaa Adu-Tutu)

Tabitha Farmer, a 26-year-old Canadian who fell from the second-floor balcony of a Hooters restaurant in Tempe April 7, is out of the hospital and recovering, police reported.

“I understand that she is up and walking,” said Sgt. Steve Carbajal, a Tempe police spokesman. “She’s recovered to some degree. Her injuries are not life-threatening.”

Police reports released Wednesday confirmed that Farmer had a high blood-alcohol content of .286 and cannabis in her system.

She was not pushed from the balcony and no foul play was involved, police reported.

The report stated that Farmer’s injuries from her 19-foot-11-inch fall “appeared to be life-threatening” and her “chance of survival was very slim.”

Those injuries included head trauma, with brain matter coming out of her right ear, according to the police report.

At the time, it was reported that a possible brain injury might contribute to her death, though a CAT scan was needed.

Other injuries included a broken right femur, extensive internal injuries and a possible skull fracture, police reported.

Farmer was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center.

Alice Giedraitis, a spokeswoman for Scottsdale Healthcare, said Farmer was in critical condition that April night, but she could not confirm how long the Canadian stayed in the hospital.

Farmer was in Tempe at the time for an Internet convention for her work, according to a police report.

A co-worker of Farmer told police they both worked for the company Feature Creep Technology, Inc., a web-based business, in sales and marketing, police reported.

The company and co-worker could not be reached for comment.

Hooters managers would not comment on the incident and would not say whether the restaurant’s safety policies have been put in place or modified.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu

×