EDGE: Offense gives ASU advantage over NAU

HOMECOMING: Northern Arizona freshman running back and Chandler Hamilton High School graduate Zach Bauman defenders in his college debut against Western New Mexico last week. (Photo Courtesy of NAU)

ASU redshirt junior Steven Threet was nearly flawless in his Sun Devil debut, completing 14-of-21 passes for 239 yards and two touchdowns.

Of Threet’s seven incompletions, only two could be considered errant throws or bad decisions. One was an interception on a late throw over the middle, the other an overthrow down the sideline to senior receiver Kerry Taylor.  The other five were dropped passes.

Sophomore Brock Osweiler followed suit, completing six of ten passes for 72 yards— one of his incompletions was a perfectly thrown 50 yard pass that was dropped in the end zone.

Northern Arizona senior quarterback Michael Herrick, should he remain healthy this year, has a chance to be one of the top Lumberjack signal-callers of all-time.  He already owns two of the top four passing games in school history.  The Ole Miss transfer threw for 178 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the team’s 48-0 blowout opener.

EDGE: NAU

Running Back

The Sun Devils showed off their newfound speed in the opener, rushing for 242 yards on nearly seven yards per carry.

Sophomore Cameron Marshall, freshman Deantre Lewis and sophomore Jamal Miles combined for 22 touches and an astounding 316 yards.  Redshirt sophomore James Morrison plowed his way for an additional 38.

Many of those who followed the Sun Devils during camp believe the overall running back talent is, at the very least, comparable to other top offenses in the conference.

Given the quality of opponent, however, the performance will do little to persuade outside skeptics.

ASU put up those numbers without freshman Kyle Middlebrooks, perhaps the fastest player on the team, getting going.

NAU freshman running back Zach Bauman, a Chandler-Hamilton high star, was recruited by ASU but not offered.   Bauman is likely to run with a chip on his shoulder after rushing for 167 yards and four touchdowns in the team’s opener.

Sophomore Giovanni Dixon was injured last week and could provide another weapon for NAU should he return to the line-up.

EDGE: ASU

Receivers

Sun Devil receivers performed poorly last Saturday, dropping six passes, many of which were relatively easy opportunities. Given the unit’s performance during camp however, it’s not likely to happen again.  Junior transfer and deep threat George Bell, senior Kerry Taylor, redshirt junior T.J. Simpson and junior Gerell Robinson (injury) all figure to play key roles in the Sun Devils vastly improved offense—none of whom contributed in week one.

Sun Devil receivers were outstanding in run-blocking, however, helping spring the backs for many explosive plays.

The Lumberjacks lost three of their top receivers from last season and the position is largely unproven.  Senior Daiveun Curry-Chapman is the lone senior of the group and caught four touchdowns last season.

EDGE: ASU

Offensive Line

ASU’s offensive line, which included starters center Garth Gerhart, left tackle Dan Knapp, left tackle Mike Tello, right guard Mike Marcisz and right guard and junior transfer Brian Schwab, opened up gaping holes and protected the quarterback almost without exception.

Redshirt junior transfer Aderious Simmons, a super athletic, 6-foot-7-inch, 310-pound specimen who is relatively new to football, flashed dominance in the opener, flinging Viking defensive lineman around like ragdolls.

The Lumberjacks return three starters from the offensive line: senior left tackle Anthony Williams, senior center Jeff Hines and senior guard Kris Poindexter.

NAU was second in the Big Sky Conference in total offense last year and the offensive line remains a top FCS unit.

EDGE: EVEN

Defensive Line

Graded on a curve based on last year’s performance, the Sun Devils defensive front comes off an underwhelming week one performance. The unit did not have a sack in non-blitz situations.  Sure, they had numerous pressures, hurries and dominated Portland State’s running game, but the Sun Devils will have to generate a greater pure pass rush if they hope to be one of the best defenses in the country—as they were last year.

Injuries to junior Lawrence Guy, freshman Lee Adams and senior Saia Falahola were not significant enough to keep them out this week, according to ASU coach Dennis Erickson.

With the return of tackles redshirt sophomore Toa Tuitea and sophomore Cory Adams in the next couple of weeks, combined with the development of inexperienced edge rushers, sophomore Greg Smith, redshirt senior Jamarr Robinson and freshman Junior Onyeali, the Sun Devils pass rush has a chance to be even better than last year. But production will have to begin soon.

The Lumberjacks return seven defensive lineman from last year, three of which were out for the year with medical redshirts.  NAU’s defensive line had three sacks in the opener and held Western New Mexico to 2.3 yards per carry.  Last year NAU ranked fourth in total defense in the Big Sky Conference but only totaled 19 sacks.

EDGE: ASU

Linebacker

With the full immersion of the Centennial High trio of juniors Brandon Magee, Shelly Lyons and sophomore Vontaze Burfict as starters, the Sun Devils surely have the most athletic set of linebackers in the conference.

While last week’s performance was devoid of hard-hitting highlights that the unit is sure to produce in spades as the year progresses, the unit’s performance against PSU is something to build on.

Erickson was surely impressed with the play of junior Oliver Aaron and redshirt junior Colin Parker, who provide the defense with two more fleet footed linebackers, and with redshirt Gerald Munns, providing six high-quality players at the position.

Senior Reid Worthington returns as NAU’s top tackler at linebacker, but the position seems to be considerably weak. None of NAU’s top seven tacklers last year were linebackers. Cody Dowd and Anthony Llanos return from medical redshirt seasons.

EDGE: ASU

Secondary

The Sun Devils secondary, while good, was not on par with the other two defensive units last year.  If the opener was any indication, the ASU secondary is much improved.

Junior safety Eddie Elder, despite a quiet camp, was a man possessed against PSU, creating havoc from sideline to sideline—in run-support, on the blitz and as a ball-hawk. When combined with the athleticism of redshirt sophomore Keelan Johnson, junior Clint Floyd, freshman Alden Darby and senior Max Tabach, ASU has multiple options at safety if there are any drop-offs in performance or if injury occurs.

Senior Omar Bolden was lucky to have avoided two big plays in the opener, but perhaps the risks he took sitting on routes were measured by the opponent’s lack of talent and the perceived rush of the front seven.

At any rate, Bolden and redshirt sophomore Deveron Carr are likely to form one of the top cornerback duos in the conference as the season progresses. Redshirt freshman Osahon Irabor had a pick in the opener, and could be an excellent corner in nickel and dime defenses.

The secondary is clearly the strength of the Lumberjacks defense as they return All-Big Sky free safety and senior Matt Estrada, starting strong safety sophomore Taylor Julio and senior cornerbacks Daivon Dumas, Darren Watson and Taelor Worrell.

They have tremendous depth in the secondary returning junior safety Kasseem Osheroff who started in the 2008 season but sat out last year.

EDGE: ASU

Special Teams

While senior Thomas Weber missed his first field goal attempt of the year from the 33 yards out, the former Lou Groza Award winner made his next from 52.  The Sun Devils will need Weber when it counts this year.

Senior Trevor Hankins, one of the best punters in the country last year, had a 55-yard boot in the opener.  ASU’s return game left much to be desired in the opener as Erickson seeks to identify his return man.  Senior cornerback LeQuan Lewis took an early lead in that race with a 43-yard kickoff return.

NAU Junior kicker Matt Myers made 17 of 24 field goals last year and made his first two attempts in the opener. Freshman Andy Wilder averaged 43 yards a punt in his first collegiate performance, though the high-altitude does add carry.

EDGE: ASU

Overall EDGE: ASU

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×