Have you ever had a friend who was constantly in a relationship? If you said no, you’re lying or you’re that person.

There are two types of serial dating: people who date long-term and those who change partners weekly. I know both types and neither can stay single. They depend on their relationships way too much.

These types of people are called serial daters or serial monogamists. They love being in a relationship and are never single and spend their lives depending on someone else.

Serial daters are constantly in short-term relationships and can never commit. Serial monogamists are perpetually in long-term relationships.

Both are the unhealthiest relationships to be in, especially in college.

Serial daters are easy to spot. They obviously are in a relationship when you meet them but tend to be overly flirtatious and act single.

Serial daters aren’t going to lie and say they’re single, but they aren’t afraid to get your number because they are constantly on the lookout for their next partner. Their relationships tend to last a couple weeks, and it’s easy for them to leave a relationship because they don’t invest feelings, they seek companionship and have multiple back-up dates.

Serial monogamists are tougher to spot. They’re usually the types freshly out of a serious relationship and ready for another commitment. Most of the time you notice it after you start dating one. They act serious extremely fast and want to spend every waking moment with you. Another key thing to watch for is how often they are with their friends. Many serial monogamists won’t go anywhere without the person they are dating.

Going from relationship to relationship isn’t love. If you go through a breakup with someone after dating for a long time, and you are able to replace him or her within a week's time, then you didn’t really care about him or her. It shows that you need to constantly be in a relationship, and it doesn’t matter who it's with.

If you’re a serial dater, try taking a break after your next relationship.

It might be hard, but it’s important that you can manage being alone. You need to figure out who you are, which is harder to do while young and tied down.

You might hate being single, but at least it will help you figure yourself out. No one can help you do that.

I have been single for two years. I’ve had flings, but, more importantly, I realized how much I love being alone.

Did it take a while to figure out who I was without a boyfriend? Of course. But you can really only depend on yourself in life.

Someone else can’t complete you. You have to realize that you are the only person who can make yourself feel complete.

The only way to accomplish this is by being alone.

Reach Lindsey at Lskupfer@gmail.com

×