EDGE: Locker leads favored Huskies against reeling ASU

Quarterback

Redshirt junior Steven Threet is second in the country among the top 100 qualified FBS passers with 10 interceptions. The vast majority of his picks have come at crucial times in games ASU had chances to win. Two of them came in the end zone when the Sun Devils appeared to be on the verge of coming back. That won’t get it done.

Washington senior Jake Locker’s “legendary” performance against Southern California last Saturday may once again put to rest claims that the potential No. 1 pick in next year’s draft is overhyped. Locker seemed to singlehandedly lead the Huskies to a win in the Los Angeles Coliseum against the then No. 18 Trojans, amassing over 420 total yards.

EDGE: UW

Running Back

Freshman Deantre Lewis and sophomore Cameron Marshall combined for 174 yards and two touchdowns against Oregon State. Since the Sun Devils began FBS games with Wisconsin, the duo has combined to average 179 yards per contest. Take out ASU’s game against NAU, and it has one of the better rushing attacks in the country.

UW sophomore running back Chris Polk is an excellent complement to the Locker show, averaging more than five yards per carry. Freshman Jessie Callier is an explosive backup who is likely to get his fair share of touches.

EDGE: ASU

Wide Receivers/ Tight End

Junior receiver Gerell Robinson continued his ascension of the receiver rotation, catching four balls for 73 yards against the Beavers. With redshirt junior Aaron Pflugrad out with turf toe, expect ASU to rely on Robinson and junior Mike Willie in the slot. The Sun Devils will need to get big plays from their receivers if they are going to be considered a top unit in the conference.

Junior Jermaine Kearse is a big play threat for UW, averaging close to 20 yards per catch with five touchdowns. Kearse is one of the top receivers in the conference. With junior Devin Aguilar and senior D’Andre Goodwin, the Huskies have plenty of talent outside that could give the Sun Devils’ inexperienced secondary fits.

Edge: UW

Offensive Line

The Sun Devils front had its ups and down Saturday, opening up running lanes for its backs but often struggling in protection. Sans starting redshirt junior left tackle Dan Knapp, who is likely going to sit against the Huskies, ASU will once again face difficult one-on-one matchups. Right tackle Aderious Simmons made his first start of the year, showing both his tremendous upside and a possible lack of assignment recognition against the blitz. Redshirt junior Mike Marcisz had difficulties in his one-on-one matchup against a potential early round pick next year, but should bounce back this week.

Against USC, the Huskies returned all but one starter from last season. UW starts two underclassmen. From the looks of it, the Huskies have had some trouble protecting Locker but have done a much better job in the running game. Edge: UW

Defensive Line

According to coach Dennis Erickson, the Sun Devils gave up 290 yards on just 12 plays against OSU while holding the Beavers to 126 yards in the other 48 plays.

ASU’s defense had breakdowns all over the field, but the lack of a natural pass rush may have been the most critical flaw in its performance. The Sun Devils have struggled to get to the quarterback all season without the blitz, which is why freshman defensive end Junior Onyeali expects to get his first start. Onyeali is an undersized player with a high motor and excellent quickness who has shown great ability to beat pass blocking in the early going.

The Huskies have allowed over six yards per carry thus far but have also generated pressure with seven sacks.

Edge: ASU

Linebackers

Sophomore Vontaze Burfict was benched for at least the early portion this Saturday’s game. It will be interesting to see how the Sun Devils linebacker corps performs without him on the field. Sun Devil linebackers were often out of position, neglecting their assignments against the Beavers, which is part of the reason they allowed so many big plays.

UW senior Mason Foster might be the best linebacker in the conference and is sure to be an early round pick next year. Senior Victor Aiyewa and Cort Dennison are also above average Pac-10 linebackers.

Edge: UW

Secondary

The loss of redshirt sophomore cornerback Deveron Carr, who has had no more than one pass completed against him through five games, could have a dramatic effect on a secondary that has underperformed all year. The injury means cornerbacks and redshirt freshman Osahon Irabor and freshman Alden Darby will have to learn quickly.

The Sun Devils continue to struggle to find a proper safety combination, with senior Max Tabach coming on strong the last two weeks. Right now it seems that the ASU secondary is out of sorts, meaning it could be a long year for the ASU defense—one which many predicted to be a top unit.

UW sophomore cornerback Desmond Trufant is one of the better cornerback talents in the country and could pick on Threet’s poor decision-making. The Huskies have only one interception on the season, but have helped hold opponents to just over 200 yards per game.

EDGE: UW

Special Teams

The Sun Devils’ special teams unit made a positive impact in last week’s loss. Redshirt senior Mike Callaghan blocked a punt that led to a touchdown run. The Sun Devils punt, kick and return teams all seem above average at this point.

UW junior Erik Folk hasn’t missed a kick on the year. The Huskies punt and kick return units are solid, but they’ve yet to establish a significant return threat.

EDGE: ASU

Overall Edge: UW

At this point, ASU should not be presumed a winner in any remaining game on the schedule other than Washington State. Until they can break a nine game FBS losing streak, the Sun Devils are underdogs.

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×