Police Beat: Oct. 18

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

• A 40-year-old Tempe man was arrested around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday on suspicion of failing to change his address as a registered sex offender, police reported. The man had not been located since his initial registration date in September, after his release from the Department of Corrections, and was not registered at a valid address, police reported. The man has been convicted twice for failing to register after being required to register for a 1996 conviction for attempted sexual assault and sexual abuse, according to a report. The man was turned over to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office, police reported.
  • A 26-year-old Tempe man was arrested around 9 p.m. Wednesday on suspicion of possession of a narcotic drug, being in possession of dangerous drugs, being in possession of drug paraphernalia and driving on a suspended license, police reported. The man was contacted on the 900 block of East Baseline Road in Tempe for an improper turn, according to a police report. During the stop, police discovered the man’s license was suspended, police reported. A search of the man revealed two pills of clonazepam, an anticonvulsant and muscle relaxant, and a bag with white residue identified as cocaine, according to a report. Another bag of a usable quantity of cocaine was located after the man attempted to drop the bag when exiting a police vehicle, police reported. The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to a report.
  • A 35-year-old Tempe man was arrested around 11 p.m. Tuesday on suspicion of aggravated DUI, police reported. Police contacted the man near South McClintock Drive and East Apache Boulevard after the man was trying to exit a parking lot after a vehicle collision, according to a police report. The man told police his license was suspended for DUI, admitted to drinking, and had bloodshot and watery eyes, an odor of alcohol, slurred speech and difficulty balancing, among other clues of impairment, police reported. An initial test of the man’s blood-alcohol content registered .237, and a second test displayed .235, according to a report. Tuesday’s incident was the man’s third DUI arrest and he was booked into Tempe City Jail, police reported.
  • A 27-year-old Chandler man was arrested around 9:30 p.m. Oct. 11 on suspicion of aggravated assault and possession of a forged instrument, police reported. The man choked his girlfriend unconscious during an altercation at her apartment, according to a police report. In a search incident to arrest, police found five forged identification cards in his wallet, police reported. The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to a report.
Reports compiled by Matt Hendley. Reach the reporter at mhendley@asu.edu

×