Town Lake gets water; new events scheduled

HIGH QUALITY H2O: Water from Roosevelt dam rushes into the Tempe Town Lake early Friday morning. (Photo by Annie Wechter)

Tempe Town Lake started its refilling process Friday at 7 a.m. after sitting empty since a dam burst in July. New water events will be scheduled at the lake to make up for cancellations and loss of revenue.

The lake is using water from the Salt River Project, which will continuously fill the lake until it is full. It began Friday at a rate of 75 cubic feet per second, said Tempe spokeswoman Kris Baxter-Ging.

“We’re hoping to have the lake ready by Oct. 25,” she said.

Since July 20 when the dam burst, Tempe officials have been forced to cancel numerous lake-based classes and activities.

Seven events, including three triathlons, were canceled, which resulted in a $95,000 loss to Tempe’s community services department, said Travis Dray, deputy manager of the city’s Parks and Recreation department.

“Our boating programs suffered tremendously … our recreational programs for the lake, they were non-existent,” he said.

In an effort to make up the lost revenue, the community services department is planning on holding a 2.4-mile open water swim, a competition that will be held Nov. 6, Dray said.

The Ironman Triathlon will continue on schedule for Nov. 21.

Three of the triathlons were canceled by the local Red Rock Company, which produces numerous triathlons at Tempe Town Lake.

City officials are planning to hold a Triathlon Festival in April, which will feature the three Red Rock triathlons that were canceled, Dray said.

Reach the reporter at anatwood@asu.edu

×