Radio show to share Valley residents’ inspiring stories

College students, adults and kids from the Valley who have a touching story now have the opportunity to share it on the radio.

A former social worker of 20 years, Helen Noonan will launch her show “Arizona Heart To Heart” on 1480 AM at 1 p.m. Saturday.

“I want to focus on social issues that nobody knows how to talk about,” Noonan said.

These issues include death and alcoholism, but also the strength it takes to overcome those challenges

The show is currently set to run for 13 weeks and could be extended depending on its success. It will feature both personal stories and performances, including original fictional stories, songs and poetry. The commercials will be narrated by kids in the community, she said.

“They will be able to be a rock star for a day,” Noonan said.

College students are of particular interest to Noonan, as she would like to feature their stories of personal or academic success.  She said the show would be a good opportunity for students to practice their public speaking skills and build their resumes.

The station airing the show, 1480 KPHX, is a progressive or liberal-leaning talk show station, and it started airing the talk-show format in July 2009, said KPHX marketing director Kathleen Osborn.

Osborn said Noonan’s idea for a show was unique.

“She is dedicated to supporting the community,” Osborn said.

The first show will feature a man from Arizona who overcame a battle with alcoholism and depression after a car crashed into his home and killed his wife.

Anyone in the community is allowed to participate in the show but Noonan is particularly encouraging students from Compadre High School in Tempe.

Noonan said she spoke to Compadre High School students on Monday and offered them the chance to be on the radio. She picked Compadre because it’s a school that caters to students with unusual family and personal situations in the Tempe Union High School District.

Part of Noonan’s mission is to give students who overcome incredible odds a chance to inspire other people, especially other students and parents.

People of all ages will be able to connect and find hope through her show, she said.

“It’s all about love and support. That’s how I live my life personally and professionally,” Noonan said.

Noonan became intrigued by radio after she was interviewed on the show “Certifiably Organic” in May, which aired on KFNX 1100 AM.

Noonan was invited to speak on the show because she was running a four-week leadership program to teach students from kindergarten to high school to have the courage to take control of simple responsibilities within their own life, like their own body image.

Soon after the interview, Noonan approached 1480 KPHX with her idea for a community-based radio show.

Although Noonan’s work didn’t exactly fit the format of “Certifiably Organic” — a show about green products and sustainable living — Shairon Beale, the host of the show, said that like Noonan, she wanted to offer support to children in the community.

“I have a particular interest in influencing children in the right way,” Beale said.

Beale’s show ran from May to October in Phoenix. She left KFNX because in the next few months her show is going to be nationally syndicated from a radio station in Los Angeles.

Beale said she thought “Arizona Heart to Heart” would be a success because it is unique.

“What child has the opportunity to go on radio? Not many,” she said.

Noonan said she is still looking for   participants of all ages to audition for all aspects of the show.

The tryouts for the show will be held Nov. 21 at the University Of Advancing Technology Theatre on 48th Street and Baseline Road in Tempe from 10a.m. to 2 p.m.

Reach the reporter at mary.shinn@asu.edu

×