ASU’s Smith shines in All-Star game

(Photo Courtesy of ASU Media Relations)
(Photo Courtesy of ASU Media Relations)

Brandon Smith didn’t have the ideal college football career at ASU.

Hobbled by injuries, the wide receiver has sat out two full seasons, not including his redshirt year on the scout team, since he arrived in Tempe in 2005.

As a freshman, Smith played in 11 games, catching six passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns.

After that, however, Smith recorded just four additional receptions the rest of his career, including just one for nine yards in 2010.

But then came the invitation to play in the inaugural Eastham Energy College Football All-Star Game Sunday at Sun Devil Stadium. The game provided one last chance for athletes from all six major conferences to make a lasting impression on pro teams.

Smith took advantage and more.

With NFL scouts in attendance, Smith racked up more than 100 yards receiving, including 54-yard and 15-yard touchdown receptions from Mississippi quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.

“I wanted to come out here and show some talent and show some speed,” Smith said. “I wanted to show the next level that I can play although I had a pretty rough time in college football.”

For his efforts, Smith was named the game’s offensive MVP.

His team also got the win, with the Stripes defeating the Stars 40-34.

“Out here in front of the home crowd with my family here, it felt pretty good,” Smith said.

Also playing Sunday were two other Sun Devils: wide receiver Kerry Taylor and defensive tackle Saia Falahola.

Taylor made three catches for the Stars, and wasn’t surprised at how well his former teammate performed.

“Brandon played excellent; I’ve always known he could play like that,” Taylor said. “So for him to come out and play like that is really awesome.”

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×