Divers search Town Lake for clues of missing man

BELOW THE SURFACE: The Tempe Fire Department deployed divers on Thursday to comb the bottom of Tempe Town Lake looking for clues to Willie Jigba’s disappearance. Jigba, 24, has been missing since Jan. 15. (Photo by Lisa Bartoli)

UPDATE: Tempe missing man's body found in Town Lake

The search for missing 24-year-old Willie Jigba continued this week as a fire department dive team probed Tempe Town Lake for possible clues.

Divers searched the lake Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, but ended with no significant findings.

Jigba was last seen at a party in Tempe at approximately 3 a.m. on Jan. 15.

Tempe Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Carbajal said the search of the lake was prompted by the family and that the formal investigation is ongoing.

“We’re at the point now where we need to have some tips, especially from people who may have seen him before he disappeared,” Carbajal said. “Anyone with information is still encouraged to contact us.”

Jigba’s family requested that a private search group look for the missing man, Carbajal said. The findings of the private search on Wednesday led to the search of Tempe Town Lake.

“Dogs picked up a human scent near the lake — not necessarily one associated with Jigba, but a human scent — and from there [the search group] contacted the fire department,” Carbajal said.

Carbajal also said the Tempe Police Department still has found nothing to indicate foul play in Jigba’s disappearance.

Friends and family have previously insisted it would be uncharacteristic of Jigba to wander off without telling anyone.

Jigba is described as an African American male about 6 feet tall and 185 pounds.

Anyone with any information is asked to call the Tempe Police Department at 480-350-8311.

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×