2 softball players grab national weekly honors

While the ASU softball team is off to a strong start in the 2011 season, both senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth and freshman pitcher Dallas Escobedo have had their fair share of personal success as well.

The two Sun Devils were honored by the Pac-10 for their exceptional performances during the Kajikawa Classic, which was from Feb. 10-12.

Donnenwirth was named Pac-10 Player of the Week while Escobedo took home Pac-10 Pitcher of the Week and USA Softball Player of the Week honors for the week of Feb. 7-13.

Donnenwirth certainly got off to a hot start in the batters box. She posted a .500 batting average while scoring five runs and driving in three more runs. Donnenwirth also notched two doubles and one home run.

“We hope it continues,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “We know Krista is a great player. She was a freshman All-American. So trying to recap that same approach at the plate. She set a record freshman year with RBI. We like to see her scoring people. She’s doing a good job. It’s early yet. She’s still got some room for improvement. If she can maintain this base and improve on that, it’s going to be great for the Sun Devils.”

With plenty of hype surrounding the beginning of Escobedo’s Sun Devil career, the right-handed hurler made an impressive debut in Maroon and Gold.

Escobedo garnered four wins, including huge victories over then No. 22 Oklahoma State and No. 9 Oklahoma.

Through her first 18 and one-third innings of work, Escobedo owned a 1.47 ERA while holding opponents to a .143 batting average.

Against the Cowgirls, Escobedo threw seven innings of shutout softball and struck out 11 batters.

Then against the Sooners, Escobedo was in cruise control until running into some trouble during the middle innings. However, she managed to regain composure and seal the 4-3 ASU win.

It was Donnenwirth's second career player of the week honor and Escobedo's first.

Haro hot at the plate

Junior outfielder Talor Haro is experiencing plenty of success at the plate so far this season. Heading into the Littlewood Classic, Haro owned a red-hot .455 batting average with four runs and five hits on the season.

Those numbers would continue to climb as Haro’s strong hitting got even better. The slap hitter tallied seven hits along with four RBI and six runs scored.

Haro extended her hitting streak to eight games on Sunday with two more hits against Seattle.

Even with her recent hitting success, Haro maintains a simple approach at the plate.

“I’m really trusting myself,” Haro said. “Seeing the ball well, and I’m really comfortable.”

In limited playing time last season, Haro batted .271 with three doubles. So far, she is on pace to shatter those numbers this season.

Sun Devils rise in the rankings

After a strong five-win performance in last weekend’s Kajikawa Classic, the Sun Devils saw themselves rise in the national rankings.

ASU is now placed at No. 9 in the USA Softball poll and No.12 in the NFCA poll, both one spot ahead of where the team was at the start of the season.

Injury update

Senior outfielder Lesley Rogers continues to battle a knee injury early on this season. She was limited in the Kajikawa Classic, and did not compete in this past weekend’s Littlewood Classic.

“My IT bands on both the sides of my legs are bothering me and are really tight, really swollen, it’s pretty painful,” Rogers said. “I come in early everyday to ice, foam roll, get it massaged, everything.”

As of right now, there is no certain timetable for Rogers’ return.

“I could play today,” Rogers said. “It’s just a matter of how much pain I can tolerate. Nothing is going to snap, it’s not that type of an injury. Just how much pain I can tolerate, and it’s pretty bad right now so I’m trying to rest so it won’t be as painful down the road.”

Rogers has a career batting average of .341 and was named to the All Pac-10 Second Team in 2010.

Reach the reporter at gregory.dillard@asu.edu

×