Dear happy couples,

If you have read my columns before, you would know that I am not the type that writes about how in love I am.

The biggest complaint I have received is that my columns are too negative. I have been stereotyped as the girl “against relationships.”

But contrary to what people believe, I love relationships; they are fun and exciting. However, we all know people on Facebook who constantly brag in status updates about how perfect their relationships are.

Do you really want me to be like that? Probably not. But just in case, this column is dedicated to the ASU couples who are in love.

If reading this makes you happy, pause for one second and call your significant other. Tell them you love them, because you’re pretty lucky to have someone whom you can open up and tell all your secrets to.

I could sit here and give you generic tips on how to stay happy in your relationship, but seriously, Google “happy couples” and you will find so many tips your head will explode.

I’ll spare you all the boring long speech about “making sure you’re communicating.” But I will advise you never to change for someone else. Researchers at Ohio State University found that college students who are true to themselves are in better relationships.

The best advice I can give couples is to keep the physical aspect of your relationship alive. This means in the bedroom and at the gym. Sex and exercise are proven to make people happier in every aspect.

Also, try to find a date night once a week. You don’t have to spend money, but find a shared hobby that you love to do together and enjoy it with each other. Make a tradition that you can share.

I do sometimes discriminate against couples, but I hope that some of you got something out of this. The hard truth is that I do happen to see and hear more about unhappy couples than happy ones these days.

With the negative statistics about marriages, half of which end in divorce, it’s good to have hope in your own relationship.

More people should be open to serious relationships; they can be really fun. And if we don’t want the institution of marriage to fade out, then it’s up to our generation to keep it going.

Contact Lindsey at Lindsey.kupfer@asu.edu

×