The ASU women’s golf team will head south to Tucson on Monday for the Wildcat Invitational, where its main competition will be UA and Washington, both in the top ten of the Golf World/NGCA Coaches’ Poll.

Sixteen teams will be competing in the tournament, and the Sun Devils will be looking to make an early season jump into the top 25.

With five new girls playing this spring, the team will look to back-to-back Pac-10 champion junior Carlota Ciganda for leadership.

Ciganda was the top qualifier for the team and will be the top player for ASU on the first day in Tucson.

Four other girls are slated to play for the team in the tournament including junior Giulia Molinaro, freshman Laura Blanco, freshman Justine Lee and freshman Daniela Ordonez. Freshman Brittany McKee will also play as an individual competitor.

The tournament’s format is slightly different than the typical format, as it allows the teams to drop the lowest score of the five players each round. This should benefit ASU, taking a lot of pressure off the younger players competing.

Reach the reporter at jjmckelv@asu.edu.

×