Haro solidifying her position in left field

New Impact: ASU junior Taylor Haro slides behind a Western Michigan defender during the Sun Devils’ 17-0 victory on Feb. 10. Haro has solidified her position in left field, hitting .481 in a 12-game hitting streak. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

Heading into the 2011 season, most of the starting positions on the ASU softball team were set.

The one exception was left field, which figured to be a position battle throughout practice and into the season.

But the Sun Devils may have found a permanent answer with the emergence of Talor Haro.

Haro has quickly become a threat at the plate and a regular in ASU coach Clint Myers’ starting lineup. As of last weekend, she was hitting .481 with 11 runs scored.

The left-handed hitter is currently riding a 12-game hitting streak. Most recently, Haro collected two hits in the weekend finale against Michigan State.

While the personal achievement is appreciated, Haro’s focus remains on doing whatever it takes for her team to win.

“My only goal at bat is to do whatever I can do to get on base for my team,” Haro said. “That’s all I’m thinking about, not thinking about last at bat, next at bat, just what I can do that at bat to get on for my team.”

Haro has seen time in the No. 2 spot in the lineup behind junior shortstop Katelyn Boyd and in front of ASU’s power hitters.

“It’s awesome hitting behind Kate, because she’s been getting on also,” Haro said. “All I have to do is worry about moving her over, and then I’ve got power behind me. It’s nice to have versatility in the lineup.”

With the arrivals of freshmen outfielders Alix Johnson and Mary Spiel, playing time in the outfield is an ongoing battle.

For Haro, it’s the competition that has helped her succeed at the plate.

“Our team all around, our freshmen are so awesome,” Haro said. “It’s been nice having that competition. It’s going to keep being like that. We’re always pushing ourselves, and always trying to push each other to get better. I think that’s why it’s worked out the way it has.”

Donnenwirth provides defense at the hot corner

Senior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth is known to spray hits all over the field. The right-handed hitter is currently hitting .536, with nine RBIs this season.

However, a strong bat isn’t the only asset Donnenwirth brings to the ASU lineup. The former freshman All-American has provided stellar defense at third base.

Whether it’s showing off her cannon of an arm or using her quick reflexes to snare a ground ball coming her way, Donnenwirth has proven to be an elite defender.

Heading into Saturday’s doubleheader, Donnenwirth had posted a .958 fielding percentage, with 15 assists and only one error this season.

“Krista is just a phenomenal third baseman,” Myers said. “There’s no doubt about it. She can play with the best of them in that position. We get her hitting the ball and playing that kind of defense, it sure makes it a lot easier.”

Myers shifts over to first base coaching box

During each ASU game, Myers can usually be spotted giving signs, directing base runners and coaching from the third base coaches’ box.

In the three game series against Michigan State, Myers and associate head coach Robert Wagner mixed things up and Myers coached from first base while Wagner took over at third.

Myers said it wasn’t anything permanent, but just something to change things up.

“To get Wags a little bit of experience over there in case something happens to me,” Myers said. “You got to prepare for everything. We just switched it up a little bit, and it was that way for the whole weekend.”

Seven Pac-10 teams ranked in national poll

Every year, the Pac-10 conference is one of best, if not the best softball conference in the nation. In 2011, the competition has been off to a hot start.

In the most recent,ESPN.com/USA softball poll, seven Pac-10 teams were ranked in the top 25.

Arizona was placed at the top at No. 1 and UCLA was close behind at No. 3. The Sun Devils were voted into the No. 8 spot.

There were also seven Pac-10 teams in the USA Today/NFCA Division I Top 25 Poll. UCLA sits in second, with UA behind them in third in this poll. ASU is placed at No. 12.

Reach the reporter at gregory.dillard@asu.edu

×