Ketchum tearing up the base paths

On the Base Path: ASU sophomore Kayla Ketchum warms up before the Sun Devils’ game against Campbell on March 10. Ketchum has scored 13 runs this season as a pinch runner. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

It’s the bottom of the third inning in an ASU softball game.

After a Sun Devil single, ASU coach Clint Myers calls timeout and motions toward his dugout for a pinch runner.

Sophomore Kayla Ketchum quickly emerges and trots over to first base.

While she’s listed as an outfielder on the official roster, Ketchum thrives in her unique role as the team’s primary pinch runner.

It’s a job on the team that is often overlooked. But it’s a role Ketchum embraces.

“I know my role on the team is to do well on the bases,” Ketchum said. “That’s my chance. That’s my opportunity. I focus a lot on that. When Krista (Donnenwirth) or Mandy (Urfer) or somebody gets on base that I know I’m going to be running for, I mentally prepare myself to go out there and do what I’ve been practicing.”

Ketchum’s path to ASU and collegiate softball is a unique one. The Gary, Ind., native walked on to the ASU squad before last season.

Unlike many players, it wasn’t always Ketchum’s dream to play collegiate softball.

“I got it back about my senior year of high school,” Ketchum said. “My mom, she has always been there for me watching softball. It was a big part of her dream, me playing college softball. I did it a little bit for her, and it came back because I just love it.”

Ketchum and her mom, Diana, who is a commander in the military, share a close relationship despite the distance between Indiana and Arizona.

Her mom was not surprised at Ketchum’s desire and dedication upon joining the team, saying that her daughter has always been a determined person.

“She is one of the most determined kids I know. When I left for training Kayla's senior year of high school, she stepped up and became mom for her younger siblings,” Diana Ketchum said. “This all while she went to school, captained both her softball and cheerleading teams and worked.”

After researching colleges and softball programs, Ketchum’s love for the game led her to ASU, where she participated in open tryouts.

“It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life,” Ketchum said. “Coming from Indiana, where I came from, softball wasn’t huge. You didn’t really do a lot of the stuff they do here. I got here and it was like, wow. It was a big eye-opener.”

After going through the gauntlet of hitting, fielding and running drills, Ketchum made a strong impression on the coaching staff.

“There was something about her, her presence, her demeanor that said, listen, this kid would be a good asset to this ball club,” Myers said.

Ketchum was then given the opportunity to practice with the team for several weeks. She learned the ins and outs of collegiate softball, and worked to get to know her new teammates.

“They were so nice about everything,” Ketchum said. “I’m really quiet and I’m shy when I first meet somebody. They helped me break out of my shell and blend well with the team.”

After that trial period, Ketchum officially became a Sun Devil softball player.

Over the course of her first season, Ketchum’s hard work earned her the respect of her teammates and coaches.

“She’s running with three different groups and running hard. She was the most inspirational player we had last year,” Myers said. “As a sophomore, that says a lot for a girl that didn’t play any defense or get any at bats.”

Her efforts earned her Most Inspirational Player recognition, which was voted on by her teammates.

Since her arrival, Ketchum has rarely seen time in the field or at the plate. In 2010, she appeared in 27 games with only one plate appearance. This season, Ketchum has two at-bats through the first 32 games.

“It’s difficult, but I know that people on the team can do a better job than I can,” Ketchum said. “If he calls me in, I can do my job, but my role on the team is a base runner.”

Few players do a better job on the base paths than Ketchum.  She has already scored 13 runs so far this season, just two shy of her total of 15 runs last year.

While Ketchum is aware of her role, that doesn’t stop her from constantly working on the hitting and defensive parts of her game.

“Understanding your role, she’s just done a great job,” Myers said. “Those parts of her game, defensively and offensively, have really started to come about. She wants to be the full player, not just the base runner player.”

As her career progresses, Ketchum does hope to see more time in the field and at the plate one day.

In the meantime, she’s more than happy to wreak havoc on the base paths.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×