Microsoft moves office to Tempe

MICROSOFT WINDOWS: A Microsoft office towers over the Rio Salado Parkway and Mill Avenue intersection in Tempe near the location of Microsoft's future facilities. (Photo by Rosie Gochnour)

Microsoft is now one more technology-based company in the Tempe technological hub with a new office located near Tempe Town Lake and ASU’s Tempe campus.

Microsoft mobilized about 150 employees from the company’s old Phoenix location in December to move to its new location inside the Hayden Ferry complex at 60 E. Rio Salado Parkway.

Micah Miranda, an economic development specialist in Tempe’s Office of Community Development, said Tempe has easily been a technology hub for the past 40 years because of Motorola’s existence here.

“Tempe is a great place for technology-oriented businesses because ASU offers a great source of talent, the airport is very close and Tempe overall offers a great business environment,” Miranda said.

He said Microsoft could have a positive impact on the city.

“[Microsoft’s arrival to Tempe] sends a signal to other high-profile companies that Tempe is an ideal location for technology-oriented businesses,” Miranda said.

According to the city of Tempe’s website, there are more than 300 other technology-oriented businesses in Tempe, including Motorola.

Tyler Bryson, Microsoft’s Southwest general manager, said in an email the Tempe area was a great match for the company’s needs.

“We feel the Tempe Town Lake area near ASU is a good fit for Microsoft,” Bryson said.

He also said the company has had a presence in the Phoenix area for more than 20 years.

“As we looked for our future office, we wanted a location that would create opportunities to showcase our technology and bring us closer to our customers, partners and employees,” Bryson said.

Caitlin McCabe, a spokesperson for Microsoft, said Microsoft is excited about the move to Tempe.

“We are looking forward to continuing to serve our customers, partners and employees in this new space,” McCabe said.

McCabe said there is a large group of people who fall into the category of customers and partners.

“Customers and partners could be anyone from a small local business to a larger corporation that may have a local headquarters,” McCabe said.

Mark Evans, the owner of computer sales company Better Direct in Tempe on University Drive and Dorsey Lane, said he does not think Microsoft’s presence in Tempe will affect his business negatively.

“I don’t think there will be much competition because having their office so close to us is a benefit,” Evans said.

He said Microsoft’s new location will be helpful, as it means Microsoft will have more training sessions he and his team will be able to attend, which will make them better prepared to help customers who choose Microsoft products.

“Most often when Microsoft sells through companies like us, we can work with a customer and sometimes get them a slightly lower price, but it may be only a fraction of a discount [from other competitors],” Evans said.

Rachel Lutrell, property manager of the Hayden Ferry complex for Ryan Companies, said in an email she thinks Microsoft may influence other large businesses to call Tempe home.

“As a high-ranking Fortune 500 company, Microsoft will attract additional attention to an already technology-friendly community,” Lutrell said.

Microsoft’s office is on the 12th floor, and Lutrell said the space Microsoft chose had never been rented.

“The space remained in shell condition until the desired firm was identified; Microsoft Corporation is the first occupant of this premier space since construction in February 2007,” Lutrell said.

Reach the reporter at brian.bernadel@asu.edu

×