Q&A with Tempe USG presidential candidates

The Tempe campus Undergraduate Student Government has two candidates running for president this year.

Current USG President Jacob Goulding, a political science and business junior, is seeking re-election. His running mates are Tina Mounlavongsy, current USG vice president of services, and James Baumer, current USG chief of staff.

Running against him is Tyler Bowyer, a junior studying Russian. Bowyer is running with political science student Ally Arts and business student Will Abbott, a USG senator.

In the third story in our three-part series on Tempe USG, the candidates answered questions via email to outline their platforms for next year.

Tempe USG elections for president and senate will be held April 5 and 6.

Name:

Jacob Goulding

Year and Major:

Junior, political science and business

Running Mates:

Tina Mounlavongsy (Services), James Baumer (Policy)

Website:

www.votegoulding2011.com

Platform highlights:

Continue to increase transparency, maximize club funding, register students to vote, fight tuition increases and protect financial aid, increase textbook affordability, expand dining options and safety services

Why are you running for president?

As the current USG president, I have brought tangible results to nearly 58,000 students, but my job here is not complete. While we have had unprecedented success this year, we want to continue to serve students and improve USG.

What experience do you have that makes you qualified for the position?

Our ticket has nearly seven years of collective experience working within USG and advocating for students. We have gained the particular understanding and knowledge of what it takes to be effective and productive advocates of education.

What is the No. 1 change you would like to see on campus? Why and how will you achieve it?

Currently, all of our energy is going into fighting the budget cuts from the state Legislature. However, when it comes to ranking the platform, each individual item is equally important.

How do you plan to increase transparency within USG?

We plan to continue the USG executive tabling we established this semester to provide face-to-face communication with students. We also use office hours, the USG website, the USG Facebook, updates at senate meetings and monthly blogs to communicate. Students are welcome to come to office hours to find out what’s going on within USG and address any questions or concerns. I have been working on implementing monthly email updates and a USG tab on the myASU page.

What steps do you plan to take to ensure the website stays up-to-date?

The USG website is operated by a webmaster hired by student engagement advisers. Being that the website is out of our direct control, we are continuing to look for new innovative ways as to how we can provide immediate updates for students.

What strategies do you have for fighting tuition and fee increases?

Our focus when it comes to tuition and fees has been on the state Legislature, where the battle truly lies. Our State and National Affairs team, through collaboration with [the Arizona Students’ Association], has been advocating for student interests at the Capitol and we will continue to do so. We have and will continue to involve students in our efforts.

If you could tell the student body one thing, what would it be?

Now is the time more than ever to vote for the ticket with experience and tangible accomplishments. We have the experience and established trust that we need to deliver students the results that they want. We’re not going to quit fighting for students.

Name:

Tyler Bowyer

Year and Major:

Junior, Russian

Running Mates:

Ally Arts (Policy) and Will Abbott (Services)

Website:

www.tyler4asu.com

Platform highlights:

Increase transparency, maintain a current website, streamline and expedite club funding appropriations process, fight tuition and fee increases, boost student voter registration, revive Greek life service reputation, expand student health services.

Why are you running for president?

I am running for president because I am tired of seeing the cost of attendance rise year after year with little action from our student leaders. USG is run by the same people year after year with no results, and you deserve better. You deserve leaders with real experience and the capabilities to fight for lower costs and better education.

I have led humanitarian efforts throughout Eastern Europe, overseeing hundreds of volunteers, and aiding impoverished areas of the former Soviet Union [by] delivering English language courses. I have also worked for a large financial industry, formulating policy and authoring complex regulations and procedures. Currently, I am the president of the College Republicans and have worked on building relationships on both sides of the aisle.

What is the No. 1 change you want to see on campus? Why and how will you achieve it?

We want to see effective campaigning to keep tuition costs low. For too long student leaders have acted too late and have accomplished nothing. We, along with our fellow students, will work with the state Legislature, (ASU President Michael) Crow, and the Arizona Board of Regents to present realistic alternatives to our budget shortfalls.

We will give a monthly “State of ASU” address. To show students where their tuition money is being spent, we propose posting the budget online within the first two weeks of school and a “budget ticker” to show how much is being spent and what it is being spent on. We want to create a council with a member from each club and organization in order to best represent all student interests.

We will be down at the state Legislature every day, working with both sides of the aisle, working with the Arizona Board of Regents and working with Dr. Crow and the rest of the administration. We will propose realistic alternatives to our current problems, but most importantly we will provide real results.

Too many people view the state’s tough economic circumstances as an excuse for doom and gloom reality. We view this instead as an opportunity to instill much-needed change into the system in a way that will empower students and lower the costs for many of them.

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×