Rule of 3s bites water polo

Not a charm: ASU junior Annabelle Carter looks to make a throw during the Sun Devils’ 10-8 loss to San Jose State on Saturday. ASU fell short in their attempt to beat SJSU after winning their first two contests this year. (Photo by Rosie Gochnour)

It is never easy to beat a team three times in one season.

The ASU water polo team discovered that truth on Saturday, losing 10-8 to San Jose State, a team they had already beaten twice this season.

No. 8 ASU (8-10, 0-5 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) was unable to end No. 9 San Jose State’s (16-8, 1-3 MPSF) nine-game winning streak, or end a two-year conference-losing streak of its own.

Despite being tied at the end of the first, second and third quarters, the Sun Devils were not sharp at the beginning of the game and missed some key opportunities.

“I think there were a couple things offensively, early on, that we were not able to capitalize on,” ASU coach Todd Clapper said. “It took us a while to warm up and I think that kind of hurt us in the beginning.”

While a win would have been ideal, ASU was able to see this loss in a positive light.

“Overall we had a good week of practice, and I saw that in the game today,” Clapper said. “Nobody likes to lose, but I think the spirits are high [because we know] that we’re going to keep progressing.”

Junior Annabelle Carter led the Sun Devils with four goals. But Saturday was about the seniors.

The Sun Devil water polo team features four seniors who were playing their final home game. Seniors Lynlee Smith, Candice Phillippe, Nikki Unbehaun and Sarah Harris were all honored before the game for their contributions to the ASU water polo program.

“It was one of the most amazing vibes and atmospheres that I’ve ever been a part of,” Harris said. “It was amazing and a really special day for me.”

The environment was not the only thing special about Harris’ day, as she also scored three goals.

“I wanted to step up because it was my last game at home,” Harris said. “I got that fire, found my groove early and everything just worked out for me.”

The four seniors are not the only ones who will possess fond memories of their time at ASU, as Clapper is very proud of his graduating class.

“They’ve been wonderful,” Clapper said. “You just can’t put into words what they’ve given to us in terms of dedication to the program and being great Sun Devils. I’m really excited for graduation day.”

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×