Seventh-ranked softball still wants to improve

Prepared to Run: ASU freshman outfielder Alix Johnson gets ready to take off from second base during the Sun Devils’ victory over Cal Poly on Feb. 11. ASU will play five games in three days at the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational in Tempe starting March 4. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

Despite a successful start to the 2011 season and a top-10 national ranking, the ASU softball team believes improvement on the softball diamond is an ongoing process.

The No. 7 Sun Devils (12-1) will look to build off their recent success when they return to tournament play this weekend in the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational.

ASU is currently riding an eight-game winning streak after sweeping the Michigan State series last weekend.

The Sun Devils have capitalized on clutch hitting and dominant pitching, but hope to step up other aspects of their game as well.

“Last weekend, we did have a few flubs in the field,” junior outfielder Annie Lockwood said. “I attributed to one of them and that was one of our key focuses. We need to really make sure that when we do have those important plays during the game that we are ready for them. Playing behind Dallas [Escobedo], you wait a lot for that one ball to come to you. We need to be ready to make those key plays when they need to be made.”

ASU’s first opponent on Friday afternoon is East Carolina. The Pirates (12-4) are coming off a 6-0 win over Campbell on Sunday and are also in the midst of an eight-game winning streak.

Powering the Pirates is senior pitcher Toni Paisley, who notched her 1,000-career strikeout in last weekend’s action. With that milestone, Paisley became the first player in Conference USA and East Carolina history to do so.

In Friday’s second contest, ASU will square off against Northern Iowa, a team that has experienced mixed results this season.

The Panthers (7-3) kicked off 2011 with a five-game winning streak, and boast several strong bats in their lineup, including senior second baseman Livi Abney. She is fresh off a three-hit, two home-run weekend in the Frost Classic.

Facing off against Abney will be an ASU pitching staff that has already gained valuable experience this season.

“They’ve been doing a phenomenal job,” senior catcher Kaylyn Castillo said. “Dallas and Mackenzie [Popescue] both because they’re both brand new and they’ve handled the pressure really well. Dallas has already pitched in some pretty big games, and that’s good to see from a freshman that can handle that kind of a thing already. Hillary [Bach] has been good and dependable as always.”

ASU coach Clint Myers is confident that each of ASU’s pitchers will see time in the circle this weekend.

On Saturday, it’s another doubleheader for ASU as it opens the day against Northern Colorado.

The Bears (1-8) have seen their fair share of struggles so far this season. However, senior second baseman Kailee Vessey has been a highlight for NCU. She went 6-10 at the plate in last week’s games against New Mexico

ASU’s second opponent on Saturday will be a talented New Mexico State squad. Sophomore pitcher Alex Newman has led the way for the Aggies (14-3) in the circle.

The Sun Devils don’t plan to take Newman and the other NMS talented pitchers lightly.

“I think we get into games where we don’t know a lot about pitchers and we think they’re not so great,” Lockwood said. “That’s something we need to work on this week as well. Is really taking these teams seriously because we shouldn’t be taking any teams lightly especially after what happened to us with Utah.”

On Sunday, ASU will close out the tournament with a matchup against Creighton. Last season, the Sun Devils handed the Bluejays (6-4) two losses by final scores of 4-0 and 11-8.

Creighton has benefited from the strong play of junior pitcher Kylie Hovinga, who garnered MVA Player of the Week honors last week.

With five games for ASU in the tournament, the Sun Devils hope to see a consistent performance.

“We have certain things that we have to get done on a daily basis in order to maintain the consistency that we’re trying to achieve,” Myers said. “It’s going out and taking care of business in the most positive way.”

Reach the reporter at gregory.dillard@asu.edu

FRIDAY’S GAME

Pirates at No. 7 Sun Devils

When: 5:30 p.m.

Where: Farrington Stadium

East Carolina update: The Pirates eight-game winning was accomplished entirely at home. On the road, ECU is 2-3 this season.

×