Soccer loses exhibition to UTEP

On display: ASU freshman forward Devin Marshall makes a cross during the Sun Devils’ spring exhibition game against UTEP on Saturday. ASU fell 1-0 in what was a closely contested match. (Photo by Elijah Grasser)

The ASU women’s soccer team dropped a home exhibition match to UTEP, 1-0, on Saturday.

The game was the third contest in a six-game spring exhibition schedule.

The Sun Devils got off to a sluggish start, and the Miners had the majority of the possession in the first half.

UTEP’s lone goal was scored just a few minutes into the second half by sophomore Tess Hall, who poked a cross past ASU sophomore goalkeeper Alyssa Gillmore.

The Sun Devils spent the rest of the half pushing for an equalizer, and forced UTEP junior goalkeeper Chandra Morden into several spectacular saves, but it wasn’t enough.

The Miners finished last season with 11 wins, but missed out on the NCAA Tournament.

The spring soccer schedule is a chance for teams to move players around and adjust their squads after the departure of last season’s seniors.

ASU has two more games, both on April 2, against New Mexico State and UC Riverside before the team closes out its season with the Alumni Game on April 16. All three games are at home.

Reach the reporter at egrasser@asu.edu

×