Tennis returns to Pac-10 play against UW

Hot Streak: ASU junior Sianna Simmons returns a volley against Pacific on Feb. 13. The No. 16 Sun Devils travel to Seattle to face Washington on Friday in an attempt to notch their fifth straight victory. (Photo by Sierra Smith)

The ASU women’s tennis team will resume Pac-10 competition on the road Friday against Washington.

For ASU freshman and Washington native Jacqueline Cako, this away match brings additional excitement and anticipation.

“I’m really excited for this weekend because I love playing matches and I get to go home,” Cako said. “I really like playing on the courts up there as well. I’ve always timed the ball really well on those courts.”

ASU (12-3, 2-0 Pac-10) will likely draw a large crowd, as Cako’s family and friends will be in attendance.

“Quite a few people will come out because I haven’t played a match in Seattle in three years,” Cako said.

The Sun Devils last faced the Huskies in March 2010, when UW was the higher ranked team, and took a 5-2 upset victory in Seattle.

UW was a tough team to beat last year, and looks to provide the same challenge this year, ASU senior Micaela Hein said.

“They’re a feisty team,” Hein said. “They made it to the Sweet 16 last year and Indoors this year, so they’re going to be tough.”

The USC match was a push in the right direction for the No. 16 Sun Devils and they hope to stay on a roll, Hein said.

“The match against USC was huge for us, and will really help against Washington,” Hein said. “Building on the USC match is key.”

UW (10-7, 1-3 Pac-10) has taken recent victories over Portland and Washington State. The Huskies are 3-0 on their home court this season.

This match will be UW’s first home match against Pac-10 competition.

The Huskies feature two ranked players, according to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

UW junior Denise Dy is ranked No. 5 in the nation, while senior Venise Chan is ranked No. 23.

Both players earned All-American honors from the ITA last season.

Dy went 14-2 in singles play last season and 13-5 in doubles play, while Chan went 11-6 in singles play and 9-9 in doubles play.

Dy did not compete in last year’s match against the Sun Devils, but Chan played in the No. 1 spot and grabbed one of the team’s two points.

The two will likely pair up in doubles play as they are currently ranked No. 10, taking on the No. 30 tandem of Hein and senior Kelcy McKenna, playing in the No. 1 position.

There is a chance of rain in Washington, so the Sun Devils may have to take on the Huskies indoors, which won’t be a problem, McInerney said.

“We’ve dealt with indoors before,” McInerney said. “Two of our players, Jacqueline [Cako] and Kelcy [McKenna] are from that area. We’re a big hitting team so I think we’ll like playing indoors.”

McInerney knows that this weekend is the start of intense competition.

“From here on in it’s all Pac-10 competition,” McInerney said. “This is the exciting part. We’re playing good teams, some on the road, and we better be ready for sure.”

After competing against UW, the Sun Devils will stay on the road to compete against No. 2 Stanford and No. 10 California.

Reach the reporter at nicole.klauss@asu.edu

×