Water polo targets No. 3 UCLA for upset

Tough Competition: ASU junior attacker Kelsey White passes the ball during practice on Feb. 24. The Sun Devils hope to earn their first conference win in more than two years against No. 3 UCLA on Saturday. (Photo by Sierra Smith)

After starting the year with eight straight road games, the ASU water polo team will finally have its home opener when they host UCLA and Cal Baptist on Saturday.

“Everybody’s excited to play in front of their friends at school,” ASU coach Todd Clapper said. “It’s really exciting to be able to prepare at home and not have to get on an airplane on Friday.”

The No. 7 Sun Devils (4-6, 0-1 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) are excited to play at home but will have their hands full against the defending MPSF champions, No. 3 UCLA (16-3, 0-1 MPSF).

The Bruins travel to Tempe following a third place finish at last weekend’s UC Irvine Invitational, the same tournament the Sun Devils finished seventh in.

“They’ve got good players,” Clapper said. “When they’re on and they’re clicking, they’re definitely a team you’ve got to watch out for.”

This UCLA team is very similar to the team that won the MPSF a year ago, and calling the players “good” may be an understatement.

UCLA senior Priscilla Orozco was recently named the MPSF player of the week for the third straight week. Orozco scored 12 goals in four games at the UCI Invitational.

While Orozco provides the offense, UCLA freshman Sami Hill provides the defense. She was named MPSF newcomer of the week for the second time in three weeks, also for her performance at the UCI Invitational.

UCLA is definitely a formidable opponent, but the Sun Devils are relishing the matchup and are hoping to come away with an upset victory and their first conference win in two years.

“We’re pretty excited for the opportunity,” Clapper said. “We feel pretty good [and] if we can get off to a good start against them and get in a rhythm both defensively and offensively, we feel we will match up pretty well.”

The Sun Devils are spending the week focusing on the Bruins because it is a conference game, but they will also host Cal Baptist on Saturday night.

Clapper has not seen Cal Baptist (10-5) in person so he can only prepare based off results and stats, but he is not overlooking the Lancers.

“We respect every opponent and every game is a good game,” Clapper said.

Both games this weekend will take place at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center. ASU and UCLA will play Saturday at noon while the Sun Devils will square off against the Lancers at 6 p.m.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

SATURDAY’S GAME

No. 3 Bruins at Sun Devils

When: Noon

Where: Mona Plummer Aquatic Center

UCLA update: The Bruins, on average, only give up 5.79 goals a game, good enough for second in the MPSF. UCLA senior Priscilla Orozco is currently the top scorer in the conference.

×