ASU to save around $1.6 million a year by terminating custodial positions

In an effort to save money, ASU will contract with outside companies to provide all University custodial services beginning next month.

More than 190 custodial staff members on the Tempe and West campuses were notified Tuesday that their employment with the University will be terminated, but were guaranteed job offers with the new companies.

ASU currently uses a hybrid model for hiring custodians, with some buildings serviced by ASU staff and some serviced by various outside janitorial service business partners.

“ASU has been utilizing these business partners when it brings new buildings into service, but most of the older buildings are still serviced by staff,” ASU spokeswoman Sharon Keeler said.

With the upcoming transition, ASU will save about $1.6 million a year by shifting coordination and other costs to the companies.

“We all know the University is facing some pretty challenging fiscal times right now, and as the University is looking for ways to streamline its operations, they want to protect the core mission of the institution, which is teaching students,” Keeler said. “We’re looking for ways to streamline operations that can save money.”

All four campuses currently utilize outside companies to some extent, but only Tempe and West still employee ASU custodial staff.

Olympus Building Services will be responsible for all buildings on the Tempe campus beginning May 16, and Crystal Cleaning will take over on the West campus on the same date.

At this time, it is unknown if ASU staff members will maintain their current salaries should they choose to continue employment under the new companies.

Keeler said she did not know the terms of the employment offers with Olympus and Crystal Clear, and both companies were unavailable for comment on maintaining salaries.

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×