Former ASU baseball star and current Cincinnati Reds pitcher Mike Leake was arrested Monday on suspicion of shoplifting.

According to Cincinnati.com, Leake is accused of stealing six American Rag T-shirts from a Macy’s department store in downtown Cincinnati.

The report states that Leake removed the security tags from the shirts and left the store without paying. The theft was caught on video surveillance.

He was later arrested and booked into the Hamilton County Justice Center in Ohio. The crime is a misdemeanor, carrying a maximum jail sentence of 180 days.

The total value of the six shirts is $59.88, while Leake’s 2011 salary is $425,000.

Leake starred at ASU from 2007-09, becoming the first player ever to win back-to-back Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year awards.

The Reds drafted Leake with the eighth selection in the 2009 draft. He did not appear in the minor leagues before making his major league debut in 2010.

He went 8-4 with a 4.23 earned run average in his rookie season, tossing 138.1 innings. Leake is 2-0 with a 5.40 ERA so far in 2011.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×