Jones and Snowden solid at regionals for gymnastics

NCAA bound?: ASU senior Beaté Jones flies through the air mid-vault during the Sun Devils’ loss to Oregon State on Feb. 6. Jones and junior Madison Snowden will find out Monday afternoon whether they qualified for the NCAA Championships. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

ASU gymnastics had two Sun Devils compete at NCAA Regionals in Norman, Okla., on Saturday, as senior Beaté Jones and junior Madison Snowden held their own against some of the top competition in the country.

Jones scored an all-around total of 38.725, just a few tenths short of her goal of 39, and Snowden went out and hit a 9.875 on her only event, floor routine.

“I still love competing in large meets over dual meets,” Jones said of the experience, “just because the atmosphere is amazing and the crowds just cheer for everybody.”

Both gymnasts thoroughly enjoyed themselves, even though they were without the rest of their Sun Devil counterparts and had to compete with new teams during the meet.

“North Carolina was so sweet and made my experience so enjoyable,” Snowden said. “I had a blast and I couldn’t of asked to rotate with a better team.”

Jones, who competed with Missouri, also spoke highly of the way the Tigers’ squad accepted her and rooted her on throughout the day.

“[The Tigers] were an awesome team to compete with,” Jones said. “I definitely did miss my team with me because I love their energy, but it was interesting competing alone.”

Though each gymnast didn’t post a new season-high score during the meet as they had hoped, Jones and Snowden both walked away from the competition satisfied with their personal efforts.

“I was pretty happy with my vault, floor and bars,” Jones said. “Beam was definitely not my best. But it was a fun experience.”

Snowden also expressed the same no-regrets sentiments.

“I was really happy with the way that I performed,” Snowden said. “It felt so good to walk off the floor knowing that I had done my job and performed to the best of my ability.”

The two gymnasts stressed the importance of representing ASU at regionals, especially after the team missed qualifying for the competition for the first time in Sun Devil history.

“I was lucky to have the support of North Carolina, but the energy and spirit of their team made me miss having my other Sun Devils by my side,” Snowden said. “But I know it will just motivate our team that much more next season and everyone will realize what real Sun Devil gymnastics is all about.”

Jones and Snowden will have to wait until Monday afternoon to find out if they move on to the NCAA Championships as individuals.

Reach the reporter at kyle.j.newman@asu.edu

×