Men’s basketball signs three, two transfers

Head coach Herb Sendek and the ASU men’s basketball team announced the signing of three players on Tuesday, two of which are transfers.

Jonathan Gilling, Chris Colvin and Evan Gordon have signed National Letters of Intent and will join the team in the summer.

The trio joins early signee Jahii Carson to make up the 2011-12 recruiting class.

"We are thrilled to have added these three players to our roster in the spring signing period," Sendek said. "Together with Jahii (Carson), we are really looking forward to these newcomers helping our program. We feel we met improvement needs and strengthened our unit."

Gordon is the younger brother of Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Gordon, and transfers to ASU from Liberty University, where he was the Flames’ leading scorer. The 6-foot-2-inch guard averaged 14.4 points, 2.9 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game last season and scored over 20 points seven times in his two seasons at LU.

As a Division I transfer, Gordon will sit out the 2011-12 season and will then have two seasons left to play.

While Gordon won’t play next season, the other two new signs will.

Colvin comes to ASU from Palm Beach Junior College. The 6-foot-3-inch guard played one season at PBJC, averaging 13 points and six assists per game.

He started his college career at Iowa State and played one season for the Cyclones, averaging just three points per game in 29 games.

Gilling is a true freshman from Denmark. The 6-foot-7-inch forward played last season in Denmark for the Horsholm 49ers, averaging 15.2 points per game, while shooting 36 percent from three-point land.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×