On March 17, 65 years ago, the Syrians gladly severed ties with their oppressive French regime. On that same day in 2011, Syrians rallied in some of the country’s largest cities in hopes of ousting President Bashar al-Assad and introducing more freedoms.

They are one of many that have joined the revolutionary bandwagon; however, America, and the rest of the world it seems, is scrounging to weave all the loose threads of the Middle East.

In a BBC Online report, the precocious Syrian revolution was described as a “big regional prayer.” A very fitting term, as shortly after noon prayers, which are organized primarily by the government to convey their personal agenda, men and women organized on the streets.

Although the Obama administration said Friday it applauded the "courage and dignity of the Syrian people," the United States is treading carefully. First, the U.S. is not allied with Syria. Second, this revolution has astounding potential.

The previous president left, and Assad was ushered in under the pretense that reforms would follow. Few have been seen, and the most primal needs of the Syrian citizenry haven’t been meet.

At the foundation of all the uprisings in the Middle East and Africa are necessities: food, water and shelter. A rise in employment wouldn’t hurt, either. As frustration mounts, a strong following has amassed.

The movement, of course, is met with large dissent. Assad is steadfast in his vow to hold out against protesters until the end. Not only that, but Israel, a blatant foe of Syria, expressed distaste at the movement, and the effect it has had on the Golan Heights.

Roughly 1,000 Syrian Druze, who live under the Israeli regime in a small village called Boqata, joined in on the Syrian protests, BBC reported. To make matters fascinating, some are in support of the revolution, while others stand behind Assad.

Needless to say, Israeli officials simply don’t want the violence to occur on their turf.

Concern extends to the premise Assad may pointlessly instigate an argument with Israel as a way of steering eyes away from rallies.

A shoddy compilation of both encouragement and dissuaders from across the world feel the need to call the Syrian revolution, prophesying its outcome. Instead, attention should be heeded to a lone banker. Money, after all, makes the world go ‘round, correct?

A BBC report issued statements by World Bank President Robert Zoellick that contain his incessant urge that something be done about the world economy.

The primary needs that protestors urge for, such as lower food prices, were at the forefront of his speech, held in Washington D.C. at the World Bank and International Monetary Fund meetings.

"The crisis in the Middle East and North Africa underscores how we need to put the conclusions from our latest world development report into practice. The report highlighted the importance of citizen security, justice and jobs," he said.

It may not be money, precisely, that makes the world go ‘round. Rather, a man behind all the money has the right idea. Feed the people, and peace should follow.

Reach Brittany at brittany.morris@asu.edu

×