To categorize someone as an influential being can differ from one person to another. Hobbies, belief systems, goals and social settings all play into what one would consider worthy of fanfare.

For example, if one grew up infatuated with SpongeBob SquarePants, then they may attest that Mr. Krabs’ entrepreneurial efforts inspired a career choice. Does this indirect influence, however, justify giving a lobster worldwide renown?

On the flip side, one could argue that Gandhi, the epitome of humility, was the motivation behind India’s political freedom. This is an outlandish juxtaposition, though, wouldn’t you agree?

TIME magazine recently produced a list of 100 influential people on their website, prophesizing a time that will be poignantly marred with their triumphs.

The list becomes less credible, though, when Justin Bieber is mentioned alongside Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.

Did TIME, for the sake of a dynamic list, sacrifice its ability to discern an influential character from an overdramatized one? Let us review a few characters, starting with the infamous boy-toy Justin Bieber to decide.

On the website, the teen is depicted sans the luscious locks that many young girls fell in love with. In his dedication, Usher mentions words spoken to Justin by a close family member, “You gave up normality a long time ago for spectacular — not many people can be that, so enjoy it.”

This was mentioned after he taught many of his precocious followers how to flip the bird because their paparazzi hadn’t left him and his girlfriend alone on his birthday. Influential, indeed.

Shortly following the mention of Bieber, Zuckerberg is also listed. Mind you, TIME named Mark Zuckerberg their “Person of the Year” in 2010. They’ve put the father of an international online revolution and a 17-year-old singing sensation on the same playing field.

To add to the satire, Zuckerberg’s dedication is written by April Capone, a young woman who donated a kidney to a Facebook friend in need.

Wael Ghonim is also listed, a young man who used fellow top 100 Zuckerberg’s Facebook and other forms of social media to rally Egyptian rebels. Following his outcries, suppressor Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down. Zuckerberg and Ghonim suit the influential mold a bit better.

One last gaff comes in the form of French President Nicolas Sarkozy. He firmly stood behind banning the burka, a measure that has caused quite the ruckus.

“The burqa is not welcome on French territory. In our country, we cannot accept that women be prisoners behind a screen, cut off from all social life, deprived of all identity," Sarkozy was quoted saying by Times Online.

Protests have clogged French streets, women being the prominent crowd. Oppressing rights, such as the ability to choose your own wardrobe, apparently is a vast influence for rebellion.

To be fair, powerful figures and advocates also made the list, making it worthwhile. Gabrielle Giffords, Hillary Clinton and Rob Bell are among the list — counterbalancing the outlandish picks that millions of TIME readers will now consider to be a vital part of our lives.

Next year when TIME picks 100 influential people, it would be nice for them to establish decent criteria. The ability to make 13-year-old girls run out to the store to buy an album shouldn’t be one of them.

Reach Brittany at brittany.morris@asu.edu

×