Although the 32nd annual Sun Angel Classic began to feel like the Snow Angel Classic due to the chilly weather, the ASU track and field team’s signature home event went off without a hitch on Friday and Saturday.

The field competitors were able to skirt the oncoming storm on Friday and make for an impressive day on the women’s side.

Junior thrower Ashley Lampley had a strong toss in the hammer throw with a personal record and third-place mark of 56.24 meters. The mark is the seventh-best hammer throw in Sun Devil history and was a full seven meters better than Lampley’s previous personal record.

The pole vault saw the best results on Friday for ASU.

Freshman Shaylah Simpson took second place in the seeded portion of the pole vault with a cleared vault of 3.91 meters.

Redshirt senior Corey Phallen put up the best men’s result in the men’s seeded pole vault with a sixth-place clearance of 4.93 meters.

On Saturday, the weather rolled in with chilled temperatures, precipitation and wind.

ASU coach Greg Kraft and his staff easily made this into a teaching moment for the athletes.

“It’s a lot of coaching and staying on task,” Kraft said. “This is how you get warmed up. This is how you get ready for the competition. They’re still going to shoot the gun off, and we’re still going to have to compete.”

When the gun sounded, redshirt senior Jasmine Chaney led the way once again for the Sun Devils.

Chaney posted two first-place finishes with a wind-adjusted time of 13.5 seconds in the 100-meter hurdles and a time of 56.61 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles.

Chaney also ran the anchor leg of the women’s 4x400 meter relay teaming up with freshman Alycia Herring, sophomore Keia Pinnick and junior Kayla Sanchez for a second-place finish of three minutes and 43.79 seconds.

Sanchez pulled in another second-place time with a wind-adjusted time of 12.06 seconds in the 100-meter dash.

On the men’s side of the docket, freshman Bryan McBride led ASU with a high jump mark clearance of 2.15 meters to take first place.

The men also got two second-place finishes, starting with the men’s 4x400 meter relay team of juniors John Kline, Allante Battle, Mason McHenry and freshman anchor William Henry with a time of 3:10.09.

Redshirt sophomore Jordan Clarke stayed on his steady pace for the Sun Devil men’s other second-place mark with a throw of 18.81 meters in the shot put.

Reach the reporter at zcavanag@asu.edu

×