It was much later than anticipated, but ASU junior defensive tackle Lawrence Guy was finally selected in the 2011 NFL Draft.

The defending Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers selected Guy with the 30th pick in the seventh and final round of the draft and the 233rd overall selection.

Forgoing his senior season to enter the draft, a lot of draft experts had Guy going much higher in the draft.

Instead, he fell all the way down to the Packers in the seventh round. Green Bay runs a 3-4 defense, which many feel is the best fit for Guy at the next level.

There were 37 players from the new Pac-12 conference selected in the draft, but Guy was the lone Sun Devil.

It was the first time since 1996 that ASU only had one player selected.

Because of the lockout, other ASU seniors that did not get selected can’t sign as undrafted free agents at this time. They must wait until the lockout is lifted, which may hurt their chances of being signed.

Also because of the lockout, Guy is behind the eight ball. He can’t join the Packers or have any communications with the coaches about the defense he needs to learn.

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×