Q&A with Chris Evans, star of 'Captain America: The First Avenger'

(Courtesy of Marvel)
(Courtesy of Marvel)

The State Press recently talked with Chris Evans, the star of “Captain America: The First Avenger,” about his history of playing comic book characters and why Captain America can relate to the fans.

The movie was released on July 22.

Check out the movie review!

The movie was released on July 22.

The State Press: You’ve played a variety of different comic book characters over the years. You were Casey Jones in the animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. You were in “The Losers” and “Scott Pilgrim.” Among all these characters, though, which one do you think would win in a fight?

Chris Evans: Hmm, that’s a good question. Well, it’s got to be Johnny Storm. I mean, even though Captain America is a superior human being, you can’t beat a fireball, can you? So I think it might have to be Johnny Storm.

SP: Are you yourself a big fan of comic books?

CE: I am now. You know, I never grew up reading them. But I’ve obviously done quite a few comic book and graphic novel based films. And as a result, (I’ve) got to read quite a few. And I’ve certainly grown to appreciate and see the value in that medium.

SP: What will set Captain America apart from the other superhero films?

CE: There (are) a number of things. I think the character, his powers were given to him because of his character, which is something that I think we can all kind of aspire to as people – but I think his abilities are also grounded in reality. He can’t burst into flames. He can’t fly. His abilities are still human. He’s not indestructible. He’s mortal.

SP: Is there a message that you think viewers will take away from “Captain America?”

CE: I really think that it’s about who Captain America is. That’s kind of why I like doing the film. He’s got these indestructible values. He doesn’t do the right thing for anybody. He’s not doing it to be praised. He’s not doing it for rewards. He’s doing it because it’s the right thing, and that’s a really commendable way to live life, and I think that’s something we can all aspire to.

SP: What did you think the first time you saw yourself dressed as Captain America?

CE: “What have I gotten myself into?” It was pretty intimidating when (I) first put the suit on. I think I was still a little apprehensive at that time. You know, I agreed to do the movie, but with a lot of nerve. And I think the first time I put the suit on, it was a mixture. You know, it was a mixture of excitement, because obviously it’s this iconic character that you spent the last couple weeks reading up on, and it’s fun, and it’s unbelievable. It’s a blessing. It’s what you work for as an actor.

SP: Did you ever see the 1990 film version of “Captain America” with Ned Beatty? And if so, would you say that this version is better or worse than the original?

CE: I’ve never seen it.

SP: You’re probably best off never having seen it.

CE: Oh, really?

SP: And I’m sure, no matter what, your film is better.

Reach the reporter at nspake@asu.edu

×