Lever’s No. 12 to be retired

Wells Fargo Arena will have another jersey hanging up in the rafters in January.

ASU Athletics announced Monday the men’s basketball team will retire Lafayette “Fat” Lever’s No. 12 during the Jan. 28 home game against Washington State.

Lever is the fourth Sun Devil to attain this honor, joining Byron Scott, Lionel Hollins, and Joe Caldwell.

While wearing the maroon-and-gold from 1978 to 1982, Lever started in three of his four seasons as a Sun Devil and averaged 10.2 points and 3.9 assists per game during his college career. Lever was awarded All-Pac-10 honors in his junior and senior years, and was selected to the Associated Press All-American second-team in the 1981-82 season.

After his stellar career at ASU, the school’s eighth all-time leading scorer went on to play in the NBA and was selected as the 11th pick in the 1982 draft by the Portland Trailblazers.

Lever played with the Blazers from 1982-84, the Denver Nuggets from 1984-90, and the Dallas Mavericks from 1990-94.

Fat Lever finished his pro career as a two-time NBA All-Star. He was later inducted into the ASU Hall of Fame in 1988, and the Pac-10 Hall of Honor in 2004.

— Josh Nacion

×