Soccer’s Stone gets her groove back

OPEN FIELD: ASU sophomore defender Kaitlyn Pavlovich (24) tracks the ball along with two South Carolina defenders during the Sun Devils’ close 1-0 win over the Gamecocks on Sunday. Pavlovich and the rest of the team travel to Virginia to take on the Cavaliers on Friday. (Photo by Michaela Mader)

Redshirt sophomore forward Nicki Stone is finally healthy.

After redshirting in 2009 due to a knee injury, Stone appeared in just three games for ASU in 2010 because she was continuing rehab.

But after playing significant minutes in both games this season, she is now officially back up to speed.

“It’s a great feeling coming back after all that time, to be able to play,” Stone said. “I feel like I’m on a good streak now and I haven’t had anything major to deal with. I just hope it stays that way for the rest of the season.”

The forward scored her first career goal, a game-winner, against South Carolina after following up Kari Shane’s rebounded shot on a free kick.

Stone also assisted on Alexandra Doller’s first career goal against NAU.

For her efforts, Stone was nominated for Pac-12 Player of the Week honors but was not selected.

Team off to another quick start

For the fourth consecutive season, the team is hot out of the gate.

Last year, they started 6-0-1; the year before that ASU was 7-1-2, and in 2008, The Sun Devils started 6-2-3.

The key for ASU will be how they finish. After a fantastic start last season they finished 3-8-2, in part because of the tough conference slate.

Doller sits out

Freshman forward Alexandra Doller did not enter the match against South Carolina despite scoring two goals as a reserve during her impressive debut against NAU.

Boyd said after the game that Doller missed three to four days due to a death in the family.

“She went off and went to the funeral,” said Boyd. “Nothing wrong with that, but we just held her out based on that she missed a whole bunch (of practice).”

Marshall OK after exiting game

Sophomore forward Devin Marshall exited the South Carolina game in the 74th minute with an undisclosed injury, but Boyd said she was fine and could’ve returned to the game.

“She’s all right,” Boyd said. “We could have put her back in. I had her up ready to go, and I was just watching the game to see if we needed to plug her in.

“I was going to put her in because she’s so good in the air. I was going to pull out maybe someone that’s not as tall.”

Marshall is listed at 5’9, the second tallest player on the team.

“We were holding, so I thought the longer we could delay putting her in, the better,” Boyd said.

Team picking up points in polls

One week after picking up two points in the NSCAA poll, ASU has increased their total to 16 points.

The 25th ranked team in the country, West Virginia, has 69 points in the poll.

After starting the season with five teams in the preseason top 25, the Pac-12 has had USC (1-3) and Washington (0-2) drop out in the last two weeks.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu

×