While the summer days filled with road trips to anywhere your heart desired may have been dashed by the start of the semester, The State Press has created a playlist to help you relive those magic moments. Each song was selected to capture the fleeting feeling of hitting the open road, be it solo or with your closest friends.

Indie-folk music may have its roots in country, but it is the infusion of that classic rock ‘n’ roll sound with the Americana feel of country that makes its tunes a perfect candidate for the open road. Blitzen Trapper’s “Might Find It Cheap,” Widowspeak’s “Nightcrawlers” and even pop idol Lady Gaga’s “You and I” have the perfect feel of liberation necessary for a long trip.

Going back to the good old days of soul-filled singing, we find Jay-Z and Kanye West’s track “Otis,” featuring a sample from the “King of Soul” himself, Otis Redding. Also featured is the late Amy Winehouse’s version of “Valerie,” delivering a timeless take on a rock song from fellow English group, The Zutons.

Just when you feel like jumping out of the sounds of yesteryear, Architecture In Helsinki and Foster The People break out the ‘80s-esque synths and dance beats that will get you rocking in your bucket seats.

As the sun begins to set and you’ve had your fill of amped up anthems, the spaced out songs by The War On Drugs (“Brothers”), Washed Out (“Amor Fati”) and Death Cab For Cutie (“You Are A Tourist”) bring us back to reality as we navigate the moonlit highways.

Whether you’re planning a cross-country trek or a simple day trip to escape the city lights, good tunes are a necessity for a successful journey. All tracks selected were released within the past year, with many coming from as recent as the past few months. Consider this your chance to both expand your musical knowledge and discover the building blocks for your next road trip playlist.

On Spotify? Follow the State Press A&E editor at trevorpaxton for this playlist and more.

Reach the reporter at tpaxton@asu.edu

1. Blitzen Trapper – Might Find It Cheap

2. Lady Gaga – You And I

3. Widowspeak – Nightcrawlers

4. Girls – Heartbreaker

5. Neon Hymns – Shotgun Bible

6. Young the Giant – My Body

7. Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse – Valerie

8. The Roots – The Fire

9. Jay-Z and Kanye West – Otis

10. Architecture In Helsinki – Contact High

11. Foster The People – Don't Stop (Color On The Walls)

12. Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks – Stick Figures In Love

13. The War On Drugs – Brothers

14. Washed Out – Amor Fati

15. Death Cab For Cutie – You Are A Tourist

×