Students, faculty react to West rec center plans

EMPTY NEST: The entrance to the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity house bears a "No Trespassing" sign as the fraternity is currently in the process of being reinstated at ASU. (Photo by Rosie Gochnour)

The Recreation Steering Committee of West campus hosted an open forum Thursday to unveil plans for a new recreation center.

Attendees were presented floor plans, carpet and tile samples and a 3-D visual of the building, which is scheduled to open fall 2012.

The Recreation Steering Committee — made of students and administrators — communicates with the two companies working on the project: Architekton and 360 Architecture.

The architects have taken different suggestions from students, faculty and staff on the new space’s design and features.

The three-story building will have a massage and acupuncture center, an indoor track and a kitchen among other amenities.

Psychology freshman Feleti Hendrix said he liked the plans for the recreation center.

“This seems like a place you want to hang out anyways even if you’re not working out,” Hendricks said.

This was the fifth open forum held in regard to the upcoming building.

Dean of Students Mistalene Calleroz White said she thinks it is absolutely critical to have the students involved in the project.

“If it is your building you want it to work for you. I think because this is born out of student ideas we know that it will work for them,” White said.

Office of Student Engagement coordinator Stacey Flores, who is planning to run a marathon, likes the addition of an indoor track.

“With the indoor track it will be nice to run on an actual track than running outside,” Flores said.

English freshman and commuter student Nico De Garriz said the recreation center looks like a place for more than just residents.

“(West campus residence hall) Las Casas is just for residents,” Garriz said. “This new rec center looks like this will be a place for all students.”

Other features of the gym will include a multi-purpose room where students can hold events or host activities, two multi-purpose courts for basketball and volleyball as well as a nine-lane swimming pool.

Reach the reporter at shurst2@asu.edu

×