Women’s cross country looks to go great lengths

TEAM HUDDLE: The cross country women's team ends practice last season on a positive note with a team cheer. (Photo by Annie Wechter)

Work: undoubtedly the most commonly used word around the ASU women's cross-country team.

It's all they talk about, and it’s their ultimate focus.

After finishing 13th at the NCAA West Regional meet in Eugene, Oreg. and missing out on nationals as a team last year, the Sun Devils are looking to not only climb their way back into the national picture, but also consistently compete on a high level.

“We expect to make nationals and do well,” said the team’s top runner, senior Lindsey Prescott. “We can definitely be a top-10 team,”

Prescott is a highly decorated runner, earning second team All-Pac-10 honors last year. She is a key part of the team, and the lowest she has ever finished at a collegiate meet is 37th.

“Lindsey is one of the great examples of a team leader and a training leader,” coach Ryan Cole said. “She really has given herself the credibility by putting in the work. She sets an example by her work ethic, but also by helping the other women learn how to be patient and progress at their own rate.”

Prescott leads a group of 16 girls that includes eight freshmen and only two seniors. To make up for the lack of experience, the girls have been working hard all summer and putting in extra miles. Prescott says she has been running 90 miles a week, compared to covering 75-80 miles last season.

Cole, entering his fifth year with the program, is taking on his first head-coaching job by directing the women’s team, but his runners have no doubts about his ability to coach and are ecstatic to have a head coach of their own.

“He's very personal,” Prescott said. “He wants to know how your day is going and fix anything because it can affect you racing- and practice-wise.

“It’s nice that we can get more individual attention with the girls having one coach and the guys having one coach.”

Cole has brought a unique style to the program, and so far he feels it has been bringing the team one step closer to their ultimate goal.

“We've just been putting in a lot of work,” Cole said. “It's a long season, but we got off to a great start and we plan on continuing to put in the work so we can be good at the end of the season.”

Cole's coaching style seems to be perfect for the Sun Devils, as all of his runners are engaged in his motivated yet friendly approach. At the end of the day though, the focus is always there and the Sun Devils seem ready to make their way back to nationals.

The Sun Devils are also looking to improve on their 7th place finish in last year's Pac-10 Championship.

“(We need to) continue to put in the work so that we can continue to be one of the best programs in the country,” Cole said.

The Sun Devils will join the men’s team in Flagstaff on Saturday for the George Kyte Invite.

Reach the reporter at dsshapi1@asu.edu

×