Bercovici reunited with former teammate on USC

FRIEND TURNED FOE: Redshirt freshman backup quarterback Mike Bercovici receives the snap during the fourth quarter of the Sun Devils’ 48-14 win over UC Davis on Sept. 1. Bercovici will be reunited with his high school teammate, USC redshirt freshman D.J. Morgan, when ASU faces off against the Trojans on Saturday. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Odds are, ASU freshman backup quarterback Mike Bercovici won’t play Saturday against No. 23 Southern California.

But that won’t stop him from enjoying a reunion with old friends.

“I know that entire team,” he said. “It’s going to be pretty exciting to see those guys I played with or against in high school out there with the SC jersey on and me with the Devils jersey on.”

There is one Trojan player in particular Bercovici is looking forward to seeing the most: USC redshirt freshman running back D.J. Morgan, who went to high school with Bercovici at Taft outside Los Angeles.

“D.J. lived at my house for a year,” he said. “Me and him are like brothers. My family loves him to death. He’s going to come out here and feel like his family is watching too.”

The two friends have texted each other all week, trash-talking in preparation for Saturday.

“I’ve been telling him we’re coming for him,” Bercovici said smiling. “I’ve whispered his number to our linebackers so they know. It’s going to be really fun playing against him.”

The game itself will be a little odd for the quarterback, who grew up as a Trojans supporter.

“My dad and I went to SC practices to watch their quarterbacks,” Bercovici said. “I’ve always envied them, but now I’m their real opponent, I don’t like them anymore. I’ll be honest, I was fan when I was younger but now I don’t like the cardinal-and-gold anymore.”

One game at a time

There’s plenty of excitement surrounding ASU’s Pac-12 opener against the Trojans on Saturday. But to junior quarterback Brock Osweiler, it’s just another game.

“This is a big football game on our schedule but you still prepare the same way,” Osweiler said. “No matter who you’re playing each week, you go out during the practice week and you do the same things and you get ready to play on Saturday night.”

Osweiler is adamant that while this week’s contest is important, it’s the same as any other conference game.

The Sun Devils have not beaten USC since 1999 when they claimed a 26-15 victory in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The last time when ASU beat the Trojans in front of the home crowd at Sun Devil Stadium was a 35-7 win in 1997.

Yet all that is irrelevant to Osweiler, who is simply focused on playing Sun Devil football this week.

“We treat every game the same way,” Osweiler said. “It doesn’t who we play, were we play, everything is the same way. There’s no extra emphasis on anything. It doesn’t matter. We’re going out there and playing a Pac-12 game and we’re out to get a win.”

Injury update

Sophomore defensive end Junior Onyeali underwent surgery on Thursday and is expected to return in 4-6 weeks depending on rehabilitation.  During the first quarter against Illinois, Onyeali was knocked out of the game with a meniscus tear.

Senior safety Eddie Elder is cleared to play against USC after he suffered a concussion late in last week’s Illinois game.

Senior offensive lineman Aderious Simmons will suit up and serve as a backup. Simmons has been sidelined with an ankle injury since ASU’s season opener against UC Davis.

Also, junior running back Cameron Marshall is ready to play as well. He was limited against the Illini due to an ankle injury. If Marshall is limited this Saturday, junior running back James Morrison is likely to fill in.

“Our plan is to use James Morrison more,” coach Dennis Erickson said. “We’re going to use him probably in short yardage, goal line, things like that. He’s a big physical guy. We’re going to play him if Cam can’t go.”

Reach the reporters at greg.dillard@asu.edu and tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×