Bolden throwing himself behind team despite injury

GOING, GONE: ASU senior Omar Bolden runs the ball down the sideline after making an interception during the Sun Devils’ loss to USC last season. Despite being sidelined for the year due to injury, Bolden remains an integral part of the team. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

Omar Bolden sat in front of the local media inside ASU’s Dutson Theatre last January.

The standout cornerback proudly announced that he would put off his NFL aspirations and “take his talents” to the next level as a senior member of the ASU football team.

Bolden elected to return to the Sun Devils for the 2011 season after serving as a three-year starter. Since making his collegiate debut in 2007, he’s solidified himself as a dynamic member of the secondary as well as a skilled kick returner.

After a knee injury caused him to miss most of 2009, Bolden returned to form one year later. He led the team with seven pass breakups and three interceptions for a total of 85 yards. Bolden also collected 52 tackles while being unanimously selected to the 2010 All-Pac-10 Conference First-Team.

Heading into spring practice, Bolden looked to be on the brink of yet another standout year. That’s when his senior season took a dramatic turn.

Bolden suffered an ACL tear during drills at Sun Devil Stadium last spring. He underwent surgery and it appeared as if his senior season was lost. Rehabilitation for such an injury requires several months, and ASU’s season opener was just five months away.

“It was pretty tough,” Bolden said. “It was bad. I’m not even going to lie, there was probably about two weeks there were I was very depressed. I was just asking questions like ‘God why?’ and I’ve worked so hard up until this point.”

Bolden’s devastating injury has forced him to take on a new role for the Sun Devils. He was chosen as an honorary captain, and continues to be an influential leader for not only the secondary, but also the entire squad.

While he’s not suited up in pads or out on the field, he can be seen and heard roaming the sidelines during each and every ASU practice.

“I feel me being vocal is a way for me to stay in it, stay locked in at practice and still let guys know that I care and that I want to be around,” Bolden said. “At the same time, I know I’ll bring a lot of energy too. I know sometimes there’s going to be days where we’re out here dragging. Who knows, maybe the energy from my voice will spark us up.”

Although his teammates embrace his advice and enjoy hearing him at practice, it’s still a little strange not having him out there with them.

“It’s different because you’re used to seeing him making plays on the field,” senior safety Eddie Elder said. “Even though he’s on the sideline he still shows leadership. He tries to give everybody like corners and safeties advice on things.”

Bolden is often at his loudest when the Sun Devil secondary goes head to head with the wide receivers. He’s constantly there to provide a congratulatory holler or excited yell.

Despite his upbeat leadership, there are times where he does struggle with the fact that he’s unable to play. In an emotional moment last week, the senior had to excuse himself from a meeting.

“I have moments where I’m kind of like ‘this sucks right now’,” Bolden said. “But other than that I’m excited. I’m ready to see my boys make some plays, ready to see Vontaze (Burfict) hit a couple folks. I’m ready to see Cameron (Marshall) up and down this field and go wild. I’m just excited for this team.”

Bolden doesn’t know when or if he’ll return to the gridiron in Maroon and Gold. Until then, he continues to work tirelessly in hopes of getting back to full strength.

“I’m just going day by day,” Bolden said. “I’m not trying to make any predictions. I’m not trying to tell people when I’ll be back. I’m just taking it day by day and however I feel that day, hopefully I progress that day and get better.”

Whether or not he plays this season, Bolden is committed to helping his teammates any way he can. Being supportive and encouraging on the sidelines is his way of contributing to the team.

“I try to stay positive,” Bolden said. “Because I know something was taken from me and it put me in a bad spot. But eventually it’s got to get good at some point. Like stocks, they go down but at some point they got to go up.”

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×