Gerell Robinson on Jerseys, Mizzou and 2011

DOWN TO EARTH: ASU senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson crashes to the turf after making a catch against UC Davis. Robinson, like the rest of the Sun Devils, is amped up for Friday’s game. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Four years ago, Gerell Robinson joined the ASU football team after a standout high school career at nearby Hamilton High in Chandler.

The senior wide receiver starred on the gridiron during his high school days. Fast-forward to fall 2011, and Robinson is embarking on his final season as a Sun Devil.

He’s made 14 starts and appeared in 35 games in his ASU career. During that time, Robinson has caught 62 receptions for 722 yards and hauled in five touchdown catches. He made four catches for 48 yards in last Thursday’s regular season opener against UC Davis.

The State Press caught up with Robinson to discuss the start of the 2011 season, Friday’s marquee matchup against No. 21 Missouri and his final season in Tempe.

The State Press: After a long training camp and all of the preseason practices, what was it like being back in a game setting last week?

Gerell Robinson: It was fun to play a different defense than ours, and getting out there in front of the fans. It was hot, but it was good to be out there under the big lights.

SP: You guys have a ton of weapons on offense and we saw it against the Aggies. What’s it like having those available?

GR: It was cool. For us to not really call anything on offense as far as play calling and to still execute like we did, it was a good thing. Now the sky is the limit with this offense. We know we got the same amount of players that we had last year, but people are working harder. It’s a different caliber group of guys that we have.

SP: What are your expectations for yourself during your senior season?

GR: Just to win; I know everything else will take care of itself. I’m not worried about the next level or anything else. As long as I’m still healthy and this team wins the games that we’re supposed to win, which is all of them, I know we’ll be great.

SP: This week’s game against Mizzou is garnering a lot of national hype and attention. Talk about the opportunity to play a top-25 team at home this week.

GR: To be honest with you, it’s our first true test of the season. I know we had a game last week, but everybody knows this is the game where we need to step up and put up or shut up. This will answer a lot of questions about our team early in the season. We’ll know where we are at after we get this “W”.

SP: Of course it’s going to be a black out. You excited to wear the black uniforms?

GR: I’m definitely excited. I think it will be something new, something that Tempe has never seen much less the whole nation has never seen at ASU. It will be a new brand of ASU football.

SP: What do you think of these black uniforms compared to all the other new ones?

GR: I think they’re cool. As far as the other new ones, it’s not a Nike Pro Combat or anything like that. It’s our uniform. They’ve integrated black into our colors and I think that it will definitely give us a slight edge and hype for people.

SP: I know you’re excited, but what’s the attitude of the team heading into this week’s game against Mizzou?

GR: Ready, hungry. This is the most competitive group of guys I’ve ever been around. I know when the lights come on and the TV’s are turned on, you’re going to see a non-stop gridiron, jam-packed game for 60 minutes.

Reach the reporter at greg.dillard@asu.edu

×