Illini coach Zook taking ASU seriously

Daryl Quitalig The Daily Illini
Ilinois' Nathan Scheelhaase (2) runs past  South Dakota State's Anthony Wise (22)  at the game at Memorial Stadium. In this Saturday, September 10, 2011 game, the Illini won 56-3.
Daryl Quitalig The Daily Illini Ilinois' Nathan Scheelhaase (2) runs past South Dakota State's Anthony Wise (22) at the game at Memorial Stadium. In this Saturday, September 10, 2011 game, the Illini won 56-3.

Check out photos from ASU's last two games in this slideshow.

The most crucial game is always next on the schedule.

Illinois coach Ron Zook has always used this mantra and continues to do so as the Fighting Illini (2-0) prepare to host the No. 22 Arizona State Sun Devils (2-0).

It’s the most important game in our lives because it’s the next game,” Zook said. “They are ranked and we're going to play a bunch of ranked teams this year. This is the first one and we're going to see where we are. You want to see where you are. You get a little more excited; not that you don't get excited for the other ones, because you do.

“But this is prime-time national television and it's an exciting time."

Senior running back Jason Ford and sophomore quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase lead an offense that has averaged 496 yards per game, but Illinois has yet to face a defense like the Sun Devils.

“This will, without a question, be the toughest challenge for our offense so far," Zook said. “It’s the most athletic team we’ve faced.”

The Sun Devil defense, led by junior middle linebacker Vontaze Burfict, is coming off a game where they allowed over 500 yards to Missouri, but they have tackled their opponents for negative yards on 16 percent of snaps so far this season.

Despite the struggles against the Tigers, Zook is impressed with the ASU defense.

“They fly around,” Zook said. “They just play with a lot of emotion. Both those defensive ends, but (Junior Onyeali) in particular is a special guy; he rushes the passer and makes things happen.”

Not to be forgotten, the ASU offense has also impressed Zook, who believes his players will face a tough challenge when they try to stop junior quarterback Brock Osweiler, who has led ASU to over 1,000 yards of offense in just two games.

"I can assure you that they will get tested,” Zook said of his secondary. “I think they're looking forward to it. (ASU runs) the ball extremely well, but they also throw the ball around and make big plays."

While the team is certainly excited about hosting a ranked non-conference opponent for the first time since 2001, the students and fans of the program are hyped as well.

“Obviously, this is the kind of week that everybody's excited about,” Zook said. “I know the fans are excited about the night game and have an opportunity to get all cranked up for the week. We're going to need everybody; obviously, we're going to need everyone in the stands.”

Although it is possible to get too excited for a game, Zook hopes his team will remain focused on executing their game plan in hopes of extending their three game home night winning streak.

“Our guys understand the opportunity that they have here and that's why you play these kind of games, that's why you keep score,” Zook said. “Our guys need to come out, have fun and enjoy it."

The Sun Devils are 2-0 all-time against the Fighting Illini, including a 21-7 victory in their lone visit to Champaign, but ASU is also just 3-9 when playing in Big Ten stadiums.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×