New black jerseys give ASU edge over Mizzou

If No. 21 Missouri thinks that they look better in black than the Sun Devils do, then they sure have another thing coming to them.

Friday is the highly anticipated “Black Out,” as the Sun Devils will don their snazzy new black uniforms for the first time. Though some ASU students may claim that every game is a black out, per se, I anticipate this contest to be played in a more raucous environment than Sun Devil Stadium has seen in quite some time.

And it’s all thanks to the new digs.

Before the two teams even step onto the field Friday evening, ASU will have what I like to call the “Swag-vantage.” I’ve always adhered to the philosophy “You look good, you play good,” and I don’t think the Sun Devils could be looking any better — literally — heading into Friday’s match-up.

My aforementioned philosophy is pretty much scientific fact. Just look at Oregon. Over the past several years they’ve utilized their trend-setting uniforms to scoop up handfuls of out-of-state blue chip prospects, and they rode those prospects all the way to last season’s national title game.

It may sound silly to some (How can some new fabric, cleats and helmet paint make a football team better?). Critics might scoff — but “Swag-vantage” is no joke.

Remember how those fresh P.F. Flyers helped Benny the Jet outduel the Beast in “The Sandlot?” Well, the new get-up that ASU will rock Friday night will help them conquer their own beast — Doubt — because it’s hard to question your own abilities when you’re looking that fly.

On top of the Swag-vantage that ASU will enjoy, Mizzou will undoubtedly be feeling a little upstaged. It’s like a girl who shows up to a party to find that some other girl is already there, wearing the exact same dress, and looking twice as good wearing it.

I will give the Tigers credit, though. Black, their home color, has always been the coolest part of their uniform arsenal. But what are they going to do when they see that ASU has stolen their thunder?

Call me crazy, but on Friday, the difference in this football game won’t be decided between the white lines. It will be won in between the ears. When ASU runs onto Frank Kush Field and sees a packed house as dark as the night sky, the momentum will already be theirs.

So fans, please — participate in the “Black Out." Be a living, screaming part of the Swag-vantage.

Just don’t get too blacked out.

Reach the columnist at kjnewma2@asu.edu

×