EDGE: On paper, Sun Devils far superior

OVERWHELMING ADVANTAGE: ASU senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson tries to break a tackle by sophomore safety Alden Darby during ASU’s spring game in April. The Sun Devils’ speed across the board gives them a huge edge on UC Davis. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Quarterback

Junior quarterback Brock Osweiler embarks on his first season as the Sun Devil starter after serving as the primary backup for two seasons. The 6’8” signal caller enters with just two career starts under his belt, one of which was a 30-29 victory over rival UA.

Since taking over during last November’s 55-34 romping of UCLA, Osweiler has made it clear that this is his offense. He threw for a remarkable 380 yards and four touchdowns against the Bruins.

In six total games played, he notched a 56.9 completion percentage for 797 total yards. Osweiler’s commanding presence and his ability to make plays both in the air and on the ground make him a formidable offensive threat.

Sophomore Randy Wright enters his second season as the Aggies’ staring quarterback. After redshirting the 2009 season, Wright assumed the starting duties in 2010. He started all 11 games for UC Davis while throwing for 2,432 yards and 17 touchdowns.

He compiled a 129.13 passer rating en route to earning All-Great West Conference Honorable Mention recognition and the GWC Rookie of the Year award.

EDGE: ASU

Running Back

Junior Cameron Marshall made it a habit of turning heads with his explosive speed throughout last season. He led ASU with nine rushing touchdowns, which was the most by an ASU back since 2001.

However, ASU will be without sophomore running back Deantre Lewis, who averaged nearly six yards per carry and collected 987 all-purpose yards last season.

Sophomore Kyle Middlebrooks can’t be overlooked as he can play both running back and wide receiver. Middlebrooks caught four passes for 49 yards in the Sun Devils’ 42-0 pounding of Washington State last season.

Senior running back Josh Reese and junior fullback Nick Aprile anchor the Aggie running game. Aprile led UC Davis with 99 carries for 389 yards and six touchdowns. Reese, meanwhile, tallied 317 rushing yards and a pair of rushing touchdowns in 10 games last year.

EDGE: ASU

Wide Receiver/ Tight End

The Sun Devils return a plethora of weapons at the wide receiver position. It all starts with the dynamic duo of senior wide receivers Gerell Robinson and Mike Willie.

Both showcase elite athleticism and quickness down the field. Robinson hauled in 29 receptions and 387 receiving yards a season ago. The 6’4” Arizona native established career-highs with five touchdown catches and averaged 13.3 yards per catch.

In just his first season in Tempe, Willie led the Sun Devils with six touchdown receptions. He reeled in five passes, including two touchdowns against Oregon.

The Aggies saw their top receiver, Sean Creadick, graduate and will attempt to replace his production with a core group of four receivers.

Junior Anthony Soto is the leader of the receiving corps. He finished third on the team in receptions and yards last season with 29 and 344 respectively. Junior Stephen Dunstan looks to build off of his eight catches and two touchdowns from last season.

Sophomore Tom Hemmingsen played a limited role as a freshman, but he and redshirt freshman Corey Galindo could both have increased roles throughout 2011.

EDGE: ASU

Offensive Line

Experience and talent is abundant on the ASU offensive line this season as all five starters are back.

Senior center Garth Gerhart was named to the Rimington Trophy Watch list heading into the regular season, and is just one of three Pac-12 centers returning in 2011.

Alongside Gerhart will be sophomore Evan Finkenberg, seniors Dan Knapp and Mike Marcisz, and junior Andrew Sampson.

ASU offensive line coach Gregg Smith stressed the importance of depth during training camp, and the Sun Devils certainly have it.

Aggies’ junior center Ray Wilburn and senior left tackle Robert Ayotte both took home All-Great West Conference honors. Wilburn was a first-team selection while Ayotte was chosen for the second-team.

EDGE: ASU

Defensive Line

The Sun Devil pass rush was simply phenomenal throughout 2010. Their rush defense surrendered just 120.2 yards per game, which led the Pac-10 conference and was 16th in the nation.

That was largely due to the dominant duo of sophomore defensive end Junior Onyeali and senior defensive end Jamaar Jarrett.

It was quite the debut season for Onyeali, who was awarded the Pac-10 Defensive Freshman of the Year award. His 11 1/2 tackles for loss and 6 1/2 sacks not only led his team, but all Pac-10 freshmen.

Jarrett emerged into a full-time player in 2010 by earning six starts and competing in all of ASU’s 12 games. He amassed 40 tackles and 10 1/2 tackles for loss and was chosen for Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 team.

Last season, the Aggies received varying results on their run defense but return a trio of defensive ends who have starting experience in seniors Victor Lee and Tommy Grillo, and junior Bobby Erskine.

EDGE: ASU

Linebacker

Over the previous two seasons, junior linebacker Vontaze Burfict has solidified himself as one of the best linebackers in all of college football.

The hard-hitting Burfict led the Sun Devil defense with 90 tackles a season ago. He also notched 8 1/2 tackles for loss, and was named the Sporting News Pac-10 Defensive MVP for 2010.

Burfict received plenty of preseason accolades including the Walter Camp Award Watch List and the Blue Ribbon Magazine Defensive Player of the Year for 2011.

UC Davis graduated its two best linebackers, but will be led by senior linebacker Jordan Glass. He recorded 66 tackles in his first season with the Aggies.

EDGE: ASU

Secondary

Injuries have had a severe impact on the Sun Devil secondary throughout the preseason. Senior cornerback Omar Bolden suffered an ACL tear during the spring while junior cornerback Deveron Carr has battled a hamstring injury as well.

In the absence of Bolden and Carr, sophomore Osahon Irabor and redshirt freshman Devan Spann have filled in nicely at cornerback.

Senior safeties Eddie Elder and Clint Floyd, junior Keelan Johnson, and sophomore Alden Darby provide ASU with an abundance of talent.

The secondary could perhaps be UC Davis’s deepest position. The Aggies caught nine interceptions for 37 yards last season.

EDGE: ASU

Special Teams

The Sun Devils’ special teams unit features several new faces in 2011. Former Lou Groza Award winner Thomas Weber and former punter Trevor Hankins both graduated.

Redshirt freshman Alex Garoutte has taken over the kicking duties. He comes from Phoenix Brophy Prep, where he was an All-State kicker.

Junior punter Josh Hubner is fresh off a stellar junior college career at Scottsdale Community College. He posted a 40.2 yard average during his sophomore season.

There’s no question that the Sun Devils’ return game was among the nations best last season. ASU led the Pac-10 with three kickoff returns for touchdowns and averaged 27.5 yards per return.

Junior wide receiver/returner Jamal Miles exploded for a 99-yard touchdown return against UCLA.

UC Davis brings back experience at both punter and kicker for the 2011 season. Junior punter Colton Schmidt averaged 38.8 yards per punt last year. Senior placekicker Sean Kelley was selected to the All-Great West Conference First-Team last season while nailing 13 field goals and 65 points.

EDGE: ASU

ASU’s depth, speed, and potent playmakers on both sides of the ball give it a distinct advantage heading into the season opener.

OVERALL EDGE: ASU

×