Scottsdale hosts 11th annual International Film Festival

Starting Sept. 30 and running through Oct. 4 is the 11th Annual Scottsdale International Film Festival. Having outgrown the capabilities of the festivals previous location, the SIFF will showcase a number of films from the International Film community at the Harkins Theatres Shea 14 in Scottsdale.

The festival has pulled in a whopping 35 films from all over the world. Most of Europe is accounted for and there are even films from as far away as Ethiopia, Iceland, and even Australia.

With most Americans pretty set in their movie going ways, the SIFF offers a unique opportunity to step away from the standard cookie-cutter-like finished product that dominates most movie theaters.

The driving thought behind the fesitvals has always been to entertain, enlighten and educate audience members through a wide array of films from all over the globe. Each film has been viewed specifically to ensure that audiences are given a full dose of some of the best filmmaking the world has to offer.

There are a few films of course garnering a little bit more buzz than the rest. The festival kicks off with a showing of “Like Crazy” at 8 p.m. The movie is a definite tearjerker, as young love is of course tested by the harsh realities of the world around it. The film’s young starring cast will be available after the film for a brief Q&A as well.

A staple to most International Film Festivals is acclaimed film director John Sayles, who will also be available for a Q&A following the showing of his 2010 motion picture “Amigo.” He will also be receiving an award on behalf of the SIFF, a first for the festival.

“We Need to Talk About Kevin” is playing both Oct. 2at 9:15 p.m. and Oct. 3 at 8:00 p.m. Starring Tilda Swinton and John C. Reilly, the film’s focus is on two parents dealing with a child who has done “the unthinkable.”

Michael Shannon stars in the head-scratcher “Take Shelter” where he, plagued by apocalyptic visions, must decide to shelter his family from an impending storm — or from himself. “Take Shelter” plays Tuesday, Oct. 4at 5:10pm.

The festival wraps up with “The Way,” directed by Emilio Estevez, who also stars in the film alongside real-life father Martin Sheen. In the film, the two fill similar roles as Sheen plays the father to Estevez who died traveling “El Camino de Santiago.” Sheen’s character is going to collect his son’s body, but along the way, he meets and attempts to connect with those making their own journey from France to Spain.

Tickets will only be available at the ticket counter on the day of each film’s showing, and ASU students receive a 20 percent discount with a valid student ID. A full break down of this weekend’s showings and show times can be found at www.scottsdalefilmfestival.com.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×