Soccer back after taxing weekend

NOT ENOUGH: ASU junior defender Sierra Joseph goes in for the tackle against Old Dominion senior Lisa Bernardini during the Sun Devils’ 3-1 loss on Sunday. ASU’s main goal is recovering its high-scoring form against Mizzou and Oklahoma. (Photo courtesy of Steve Rodriguez)

A tough weekend in Virginia has ASU’s soccer team ready to get back on the field.

The team allowed six goals in their two losses on the trip. Injuries to a starter and a valuable reserve player added to the blow.

“We don’t lose two in a row often,” ASU coach Kevin Boyd said.

The most frustrating part of the weekend was Sun Devils’ poor defense, considering the amount of starts the players on the defensive side of the ball have together.

“We’re just playing as individuals right now and each of us are just kind of focusing on what we need to do,” junior defender Sierra Joseph said about her team’s defense. “We’re coming together in practice and we’re working on playing more as a unit and as a team and getting our midfielders and forwards involved.”

Boyd was not happy about the several goals ASU allowed on the road trip.

“We’ve given up six goals in four games,” Boyd said. “That’s a terrible percentage, that alone. It was Sunday that really hurt us. Friday there were a couple external issues that added to it.”

ASU returned to Tempe over the weekend with the injury bug.

Sophomore forward Devin Marshall sprained her ankle during Sunday’s game. Boyd said that the team would wait and follow up on her status. Sophomore goalie Vittoria Arnold was kicked in the face Friday after retrieving a loose ball. She will be out for at least a week.

This weekend ASU will host the Sun Devil Desert Classic. The Sun Devils will face off against Big-12 opponents Oklahoma (3-3) on Friday and Missouri (5-1) on Sunday. Rival UA (0-4) will also be in town, but they fill not face ASU.

Missouri has won their last five games, enough to garner 23 votes in the NSCAA Top 25 Rankings. The Tigers also recorded an impressive victory over then-No. 7 Ohio State.

Traditionally, Oklahoma has not had a strong soccer program, as evidenced by their 111-148-22 all-time record, but the Sooners made the NCAA Tournament last season for just the second time in school history.

Freshman forward Alexandra Doller feels she has moved on from the Virginia trip and wants to return to the field.

“Last weekend was rough, but we can only learn from it,” Doller said. “I think we’re all excited about next weekend.”

Joseph also expressed the Sun Devils’ collective interest to get back and redeem themselves.

“We want to do well and we want to show everybody that we can play as a team,” Joseph said.

Reach the reporter at Justin.Janssen@asu.edu

×