With election season right around the corner, some ASU students are making it a priority to assist in local politics.

The ASU chapter of the Young Democrats is working with Tempe Councilman Corey Woods, who is seeking reelection in 2012. Woods was a teaching assistant at ASU for three years and has served on the City Council since 2008.

The councilman said he wants to see more student involvement in Tempe politics.

“I would like to find more proactive ways to integrate students into the Tempe government,” Woods said. “Young people are a key part of Tempe and are very vital to its future.”

Woods, whose platform includes revitalizing neighborhood shopping centers, improving park and alley maintenance as well as supporting local businesses, has a history of getting youth involved in his campaign.

Political science senior Sarah Aargard, public relations director for the ASU Young Democrats, has worked with Woods in the past to establish a polling center on campus to encourage students to vote.

“Corey heard out (the Young Democrats’) ideas and we worked together to make the polling booth a reality,” Aargard said.

ASU’s on-campus polling location was first used last March during a Tempe City Council primary election.

“Corey is very focused on the community and I’ve seen that over the past few years.”

The ASU Young Democrats will be assisting Woods’ campaign by collecting petition signatures from Tempe residents each Saturday and Sunday. Although the Young Democrats have already made a strong commitment to the campaign, Woods says he encourages others who want to get involved to come join as well.

“(My campaign is) non-partisan and I welcome anyone from any organization on the ASU campuses to come and help out,” Woods said.

Woods must collect a total of 672 signatures to ensure his name is on the ballot.

Although the ASU Young Democrats have not officially endorsed Woods’ candidacy, chapter President Danny Englese said he is really excited to be helping with the campaign.

“(Corey Woods) has been a consistent advocate for issues important to ASU students and has truly been one of the bright spots in local politics in recent years,” Englese said. “He has always made a big effort to make students a part of his campaign. He's extremely accessible and affable and just an absolute pleasure to work with.”

Woods is campaigning for one of three available council seats, although his opposition is yet to be determined.

Tempe councilman Mark Mitchell’s term also ends in 2012. Earlier this month, the son of former U.S. congressman Harry Mitchell announced his candidacy for mayor. This followed an announcement by Mayor Hugh Hallman who said he would not be seeking re-election next spring.

The official candidates for the City Council will be announced Dec. 14, and the general election will be held May 15.

Reach the reporter at doberhau@asu.edu

×