Thousands expected at Phoenix AIDS walk

RASING AWARENESS: The AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K will take place this Sunday in downtown Phoenix. The walk is aimed at reducing the stigma surrounding HIV and AIDS and raising money for victims of the diseases. (Photo by Rosie Gochnour)

More than 30 million people suffer from AIDS worldwide, according to a 2009 estimate by UK charity group AVERT.  About half of the 30 million are women, and around 2 million are children.

Thousands of people will gather in downtown Phoenix this Sunday for an event designed to help decrease those numbers.

AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K Run is part of a national effort to promote AIDS awareness and raise money to fund AIDS related organizations.

Runners and walkers will start at Third Avenue and Washington Street and follow a route that loops around the state Capitol building.

As of Thursday, 2,400 walkers had registered for the event and  $291,550 had been raised. Compared to last year’s event, $226,000 had been raised at the same point in time. With the clock still counting down until the event, those involved hope to raise even more money to support their cause.

AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K Run is open for anyone who wants to attend and support the research for a cure of AIDS.

“I walked the 5K with my high school last year,” said journalism freshman Miranda Palmer. “It was a very uplifting and rewarding experience. It was great to see all the support for AIDS research.”

Palmer, like many others, also feels that the annual event is very important.

“A lot of people joke around about AIDS when in reality it’s there, and it’s deadly,” she said. “People forget about it, but it’s a global issue that needs attention, not denial.”

Josh Inocencio, a freshman majoring in urban and metropolitan studies, is participating in the event this year.

“I chose to be a 5K runner because running is a way of challenging myself,” Inocencio said. “Any AIDS fundraiser is important because there are thousands of people who have to deal with it. Why should I refuse to help?”

There are many ASU organizations involved in the walk, including Devils in the Bedroom, a peer education group designed to raise awareness on consensual, safe and fun sex.

On Wednesday, the group had 100 walkers signed up for the event and was $65 away from raising $3,000.

“The walk is important because HIV/AIDS is often misunderstood and misconstrued to be a gay disease, or one that only happens to other people, but it can happen to anyone and affects your everyday life if you test positive,” said Marissa Swanson, a student who is very involved with both Devils in the Bedroom and the HIV/AIDS awareness organization at ASU. “The walk is a great way to reduce the stigma surrounding HIV/AIDS and raise money for a cure and support through the 19 different agencies directly helping our community here in Arizona.”

Those who are not yet registered to walk or run in AIDS Walk Phoenix & 5K Run still have time to sign up.

Registration for those who have not signed up online begins at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday. The registration fee is $25.

There will be lots of music, live bands, giveaways from sponsors and a fair-like atmosphere.

Entertainment begins at 8:15 a.m. The 5K run begins at 9 a.m. with the walkers following the same route five minutes later.

Reach the reporter at jasmine.barta@asu.edu

×