There’s still room to grow.

The ASU volleyball team returns home finishing the Iowa State Challenge with a 1-2 record.

The Sun Devils (3-3) started off the weekend with a loss to Iowa.

ASU came out strong in the first set against the Hawkeyes (3-3), winning 25-21. Sophomore outside hitter Ashley Kastl led the team with 13 kills in the match.

Unfortunately that was not enough for the Sun Devils as the Hawkeyes answered back, winning three straight sets to take the match 3-1.

With 27 ties and 12 lead changes, the match could have gone either way.

ASU coach Jason Watson talked about what the Sun Devils need to do win these close contests.

“In the Iowa match we had chances that we were not able to capitalize on,” Watson said. “We have to play with a sense of urgency that every point is important. It is a reoccurring theme for us, at some point and time we are going to learn these lessons.”

The Sun Devils then moved their attention to 18th-ranked Iowa State.

ISU (7-0) came out with a fast start in front of their home crowd. The Cyclones jumped out to an 8-3 lead in the early part of the game, going after a kill by junior setter Alison Landwehr.

From that point on, ISU took control of the serves and defeated the Sun Devils 25-16. ISU then rolled on to take the second set of the match 25-18.

ISU proved to be the toughest match for ASU. Watson talked about how the tournament’s competition will help prepare the Sun Devils for their strong Pac-12 opponents.

“It’s great competition,” Watson said. “We get to go play some good people so we are getting a good measure of where we are at. I think it’s great preparation.”

Against the Cyclones, ASU posted a .170 hitting percentage in their first two sets.

But in the third set the Sun Devils showed massive improvement, hitting .400 and winning the match 25-19.

Sophomore outside hitter Danica Mendivil was a spark of hope for an ASU comeback with 13 kills in the match.

The Sun Devils secured a 6-3 lead early in the fourth set. Then the Cyclones battled back, scoring eight unanswered points. ISU would not relinquish the lead after that and won the set 25-17 and the match 3-1.

After losing three straight matches, ASU was looking to rebound against Southern Mississippi.

ASU came out swinging in the first set going up 9-4 and never looking back, winning 25-14.

USM (3-3) made it a game by winning the second set by beating the Sun Devils 25-12.

The Sun Devils won a close match in the third set, 25-21. ASU then took the momentum right into the next game and won the fourth set 25-17, winning their only match of the weekend 3-1.

Mendivil was a huge factor in the Sun Devils’ victory, with a season-high 17 kills.

“Mendivil played extremely well,” Watson said. “(She made) some kills and I thought this was a really good weekend for her.”

Following Mendivil’s example, Kastl and junior middle blocker Erica Wilson combined for 20 kills. With a strong performance by all the hitters ASU scored a team-best 72 overall kills in the match.

During the tournament Watson subbed in different players that had not seen the court prior to the meet. Players like senior middle blocker Sonja Markanovich and redshirt sophomore libero Caitlyn Murphy came off the bench to help the team.

“It’s nice to have options,” Watson said. “(Murphy) came in and steadied us a little bit and created some point-scoring opportunities with her serves. (Maranovich) needed to come in and help us defensibly and she did that with her block.”

Watson discussed what the team will work on during practice to prepare for their next tournament.

“I hope we have a better understanding that things can change quickly,” Watson said. “To be able to (win) you have to deal with some adversity. We are going to address that this week in practice.”

Reach the reporter at ehubbard@asu.edu

×