Willie underrated as a run blocker

OLD FRIENDS: ASU senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson makes a leaping catch during the Sun Devils’ victory over Missouri on Sept. 9. Robinson, a Chandler Hamilton product, will be reunited with former Hamilton teammate Reuben Robinson when ASU plays Oregon State on Saturday. (Photo by Beth Easterbrook)

Check out more action photos from Saturday's game in this slideshow.

OR

See if State Press caught you cheering on the Devils in this fan slideshow.

Finding consistent receiving numbers in the ASU offense is difficult.

Not because the No. 25 Sun Devils don’t have any playmakers.

But because they have so many options.

10 ASU receivers have three or more receptions through four games this season.

Fourth on that list is senior Mike Willie with 10 catches for 136 yards.

But when the big play target isn’t moving the chains, he helps the Sun Devils in another fashion: run blocking.

“He doesn’t get enough credit for what he does for the run game,” ASU junior quarterback Brock Osweiler said. “He’ll take cornerbacks and put them on their backs. He’s a great player and he brings a lot of energy to the team.”

For Willie, a former defensive player prior to coming to Tempe, blocking is a way for him to return some of the hits he takes while catching balls.

“It’s flipping the script on them,” he said. “It takes a little pressure off me because they don’t want to get hit. I take pride in that and it’s my mindset when I’m out there.”

Hamilton connection

Chandler Hamilton High School has one of the most, if not the most, successful programs in all of Arizona.

So it’s no surprise when two of its alumni meet in a Division I football game.

This Saturday will see ASU senior wide receiver Gerell Robinson meet up with Oregon State junior linebacker Rueben Robinson.

The two were teammates on Hamilton’s 2006 state championship team.

“He was a hard worker, a good kid,” Gerell said. “I always liked playing with him, he was a good teammate. He’s what you’d expect from anyone who comes from Hamilton.”

With Gerell starting on offense for ASU and Rueben getting consistent playing time as a second-team guy, the two might get up close and personal on the field.

“We were a couple of the guys on the team that made Division I football so we stayed friends,” Gerell said. “He’s definitely a person I still talk to and I’ll see him on Saturday.”

Shy O-line

Feeling proud of his offensive line’s performance, Osweiler brought his front five to the post USC press conference last Saturday.

The gesture caught a few of the guys off-guard however.

“I was surprised,” ASU redshirt senior offensive lineman Dan Knapp said. “He came up and said ‘Hey man we’ve got some interviews.’ We’re all shy pretty much about those kinds of things though.”

Although that’s not to say the experience wasn’t fun for the offensive line.

“We really liked it and we really appreciated it,” Knapp said. “We don’t get much publicity. (Osweiler) has got the mentality we do.”

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×