Arizona fans ignored Cinderella

Last Friday in Milwaukee, the fairy-tale clock finally struck 12 on the Arizona Diamondbacks. Their fancy carriage turned back to a pumpkin, their white horses shrank back to mice.

And just like Cinderella, the D-backs left a lone slipper on the steps of the postseason ball.

Most of the naysayers in this town didn’t believe the D-backs could make it to the ball, or didn’t want them to, or both. The apathy showed in the attendance figures all year long.

Even at the last home game of the season, a pivotal Game Four NLDS showdown against the Brewers, Chase Field was only filled to 79.8 percent capacity.

I don’t care what the sport is, what the city is, what the explanation is: not selling out for a playoff game, and an elimination one at that, is inexcusable.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here, but my question, once again, is what is it going to take for the Copper State to fall in love with the snakes? Short of bringing home the Commissioner’s Trophy, the 2011 D-backs did everything they could to give fans a reason to come out to Chase Field.

On the field, Arizona exceeded everyone’s expectations, including my own, by playing hard-nosed, no-quit baseball for all 27 outs of every single game. The D-backs, who rallied to tie in the ninth on Friday before falling in extras, had the most come-from-behind victories in the majors this year.

This is a team that never quit on themselves or their fans, yet Chase Field ranked 24th in the 2011 MLB attendance percentage marks (averaging just 53.4 percent capacity).

How’s that for unrequited love?

The Diamondbacks’ management did all they could, too. Apart from the NL West Champion product that they assembled between the lines, ownership offered bobble heads, replica 2001 World Series rings and $5 tickets to multiple series down the stretch in an effort to draw more people out to games.

Five-dollar tickets, replica rings and bobbles? Hell, that’s enough to make me sit through an error-infested, AAA-like Chicago Cubs game.

Speaking of the sorry Cubs, their fans sure could teach Arizona “fans” a thing or two about loyalty. They have a great following no matter what, no matter if they posted an atrocious 71-91 record this year and haven’t won a World Series since 1908.

Cubbie diehards would without a doubt shake their heads at D-backs fans that have already been blessed with a championship and several division crowns but seem to take their baseball team for granted.

But enough about the fans. More importantly, we need to mourn the end of a season that started with very low expectations yet ended with a playoff run and the feeling that Arizona could have done a whole lot more damage. I’m more proud of the resilient, scrappy D-backs for the way they battled and discredited their naysayers than I am frustrated with the flaky fans.

Organizations like the Diamondbacks and the Tampa Bay Rays (23rd on the aforementioned attendance list) are tangible proof that a ballclub doesn’t need a dedicated fan base or a monster payroll in order to be competitive.

And with all honesty, as much as I’ve complained about the lack of support for the Dbacks, I think I like it better that way. It’s almost as if the lack of attention is good for their win column. From what we’ve witnessed in 2011, it should be clear that this Diamondbacks team is one that has the tools — and mental toughness — to compete for a crown over the next few years.

Thanks to Nyger Morgan and the BrewCrew, though, we’ll have to wait until at least next season to find out if the slipper fits.

Reach the reporter at kjnewma2@asu.edu

×