The Milwaukee defeats struck a chill in the hearts of Arizona Diamondback fans, despite faith in their team.

Coach Kirk Gibson and his crew made it to the postseason, but problems exhibited in games one and two need to be corrected immediately.

During the regular season the D-backs often pulled out ridiculous wins that probably shouldn’t have been theirs.

This phenomenon almost became expected. Of course Ryan Roberts would hit a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning.

If the Diamondbacks want to stay in the postseason, that mentality has to stop.

Playing in October is an entirely different monster than the regular season. Sure, RBIs in a clutch situation are ideal, but they shouldn’t be counted on.

This is where the D-backs get to prove their maturity by playing a disciplined, productive game, starting in the first inning.

Game One came and went with a whimper. It was a game they could have won that got away.

Game Two just got ugly. One mistake led to another and suddenly the Diamondbacks were losing by five.

If the team in Sedona Red has proven anything, it’s that they can fail, learn from it and come to the diamond the next day with more energy than before.

So now it’s time to prove they can do that in the postseason.

Reach the reporter at dkmcinty@asu.edu Click here to subscribe to the daily State Press newsletter.

×