Jayden Quaintance becomes one of the highest-rated recruits in ASU history

The basketball player de-committed from Kentucky and is now Bobby Hurley's best recruit

bobby surprised.png

ASU men’s basketball head coach Bobby Hurley reacts to a call at Desert Financial Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2024 in Tempe. ASU lost 68-66.

Five-star recruit and No. 8 player in the 2024 class Jayden Quaintance has committed to being a Sun Devil, according to ESPN.

Quaintance originally chose Kentucky before former Wildcats' head coach John Calipari left his position to coach for Arkansas. Quaintance then de-committed from Kentucky and flipped to ASU, making him one of the highest-rated recruits in Sun Devil basketball history.  

The 6-foot-9-inch, 230-pound center played high school ball at Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, North Carolina, and was a McDonald's All-American. 

At only 16 years old, Quaintance is regarded as a potential NBA lottery pick. He will likely stay in college for two years because players must be 19 to be drafted.

Quaintance was reclassified from the 2025 to 2024 class, graduating early from high school and eager to play college ball. If head coach Bobby Hurley plays his cards right, ASU could have him on the team for two years.

Quaintance joins former Sun Devil shooting guard Josh Christopher as the highest-ranked recruits in ASU basketball history.

The new recruit is lethal in the dunker spot next to the rim. Guards can drive into the lane or drop it off to Quaintance for an easy slam. The big man can also score put-backs and quick layups to support his teammates in rebounds.

Quaintance has great footwork, finishes through contact and passes the ball proficiently for a center. He also knows how to take players from the top of the key by using his footwork to make moves toward the basket. The pick and roll play is also a threat with his ability to hit jumpers or drive to the hoop.

On the defensive end, his over 7-foot-long wingspan makes him a presence in the paint who can block shots. Quaintance is also great at grabbing rebounds on both sides of the court.

READ MORE: Point Guard Austin Nunez is returning to the Sun Devils, reunites with Bobby Hurley

Quaintance joins a respectable recruiting class for Hurley. ASU has already landed four-star recruits Amier Ali and Sammie Yeanay and three-star recruits Bo Aldridge and Jaden Smith.

Edited by Jack Barron, Sophia Braccio and Alexis Heichman.

Reach the reporter at hjsmardo@gmail.com and follow @HenryJSmardo on X.

×